add sugar in boil or during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownrice

Reaction score
haio,
Adding sugar to the boil inverts the sucrose (b/c low pH), but sugar additions early in fermentation help the yeast focus on maltose before crapping out on the simple sugars.
-----
I'm making a russian stout (5 gal) with 20lbs of 2-row and at least 1 lb of brown sugar, pitched onto the s-04 yeast cake of a 1.045 batch.

estimated gravity =1.115 -> 1.025
-----
Perhaps that's enough yeast to tackle the sugar addition right away, but perhaps it's always better to let 'em focus on the maltose first.

As I understand it, invert sugar (candi sugar) integrates more smoothly whereas sucrose produces "cider" notes. That would not be desirable in a RIS, whereas a high FG is already expected. Thus, I should add sugar to the boil instead of during fermentation. For a Belgian triple, I'd argue the opposite.

Any thoughts?

big ol stout

Imperial Stout (13 F)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.98 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.60 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 28 Jan 2016
Brewer: cricket
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.6 %

20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.8 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.1 %
12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 3.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.0 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.0 %
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 8 4.0 %

3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 72.2 IBUs

1.0 YEAST CAKE SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 10 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.129 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 14.1 %
Bitterness: 72.2 IBUs
Est Color: 47.6 SRM

Created with BeerSmith
-------

I have a packet of Lalvin 1118 on hand if the FG is above 1.030, but I don't wanna thin it out toooo much.

during boil, thus no need to expose the beer to oxygen and potential contamination once fermentation has started

Recipe formulation and brewing decisions are about percentages and you've got 4% brown sugar you're adding. That's such a small amount there simply is no need to do anything other than toss it in the boil.

For a big beer like that I would add sugar during fermentation using a boiled water / sugar syrup so it can eat the more complex sugars first before moving on to the simpler ones. Give it a few days then add it in. Just make sure you have it nice and sanitary through boiling. It will attenuate better. If you were talking about a 1.070 beer, I would just say to throw it in during the later stages of the boil.

Back