Add potassium to fermenter or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STMF

Reaction score
I have made my first hard cider from apple juice and s-04 yeast. It is getting close to finished and I am going to rack it to a serving keg shortly.
I have a question though. I plan to add potassium sorbate, potassium metabisulfite, gelatin and cold crash.

Should I:
1) Add the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to the fermenter together with the gelantine and cold crash and then rack to the serving keg?
or
2) Cold crash the fermenter. Add the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to the serving keg and rack the cider to it.

Does it matter? Is there a "better" way to do what I plan?
Regards Stefan

You want the cider to be clear of yeast when stabilizing. If you're going straight to the keg from primary then rack to the keg then add the sorbate and sulfite. You can add sweetener at the same time if you like.

You want the cider to be clear of yeast when stabilizing. If you're going straight to the keg from primary then rack to the keg then add the sorbate and sulfite. You can add sweetener at the same time if you like.

Thank you for your reply, I will do that.

S04 is my go-to yeast for reg ciders & lower ABV ice ciders (10-low11% range)....it cold crashes like a champ and forms very solid lees...and ends up crystal clear.

I've Never had to add gelatin....fyi.

Cheers and good luck.

S04 is my go-to yeast for reg ciders & lower ABV ice ciders (10-low11% range)....it cold crashes like a champ and forms very solid lees...and ends up crystal clear.

I've Never had to add gelatin....fyi.

Cheers and good luck.

Thank you, I might skip the gelatin or just use it because it is easy.

So the order should be:

1. Cold crash
2. (Add gelatin)
3. Transfer to serving keg
4. Add the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite

Back