Add Calcium Carbonate After the Fact?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
I posted the following question in the Muscadine Wine thread, but thought I'd start a new thread specifically about this issue.

My 2016 muscadine wine is too tart. Can I add calcium carbonate NOW? What if I uncork my bottles of tart wine, siphon into a gallon jug with calcium carbonate, and let it set for a few months. Then bottle again. Good idea? Bad idea?

For grape based wine, you are better off using potassium bicarbonate than calcium carbonate. The calcium can SLOWLY bind with the tartaric acid and throw precipitates for 6 months.

The deacidifying is immediate. Just be sure you add more sulfites and allow the carbon dioxide to be released from the wine before rebottling.

Can both potassium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate be used? And why one over the other?

Last edited:
Both can be used but the calcium will precipitate very slowly as calcium tartrate crystals whereas potassium bitartrate crystals precipitate fast when you chill it.

It is only a question of whether you can of you have crystals at the bottom of your bottle and how long you have to wait until it is stable.

After I use a titration kit and adjust wine accordingly, how long should I wait before retesting just to make sure I'm in range?

The chemical reaction is pretty much immediate. Just be sure to stir the wine well enough to get a representative sample for retest. Or wait until the next day and diffusion will take care of the mixing for you.

Back