Actual total volume of 3 gallon Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crucial-BBQ

Reaction score
I have tried searching for an answer (posed as the title) but could not find one. I am sure that this topic has been brought up a few times, so please excuse my redundancy.

I often brew slightly more than 3 1/2 gallons (because I get an "even" case and a half worth of beer) and am wondering if the 3 gallon Better Bottle would accommodate this volume. I asked around my LHBS and the general consensus was "I don't know. You'll have to purchase one and find out for yourself". The 5 gallon Better Bottle is only $1.45 more, but the 3 gallon has a smaller foot print and I can accommodate more 3 gallon bottles in my fermentation chamber than I can with 5 gallon bottles.

If anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

It can fit a little over 3 gallons but I'm not sure about another 1/2 gallon. I marked mine off and I think the 3 gallon mark is past the point where the neck starts coming in. I'll take a picture and see if I can figure it out when I get home. I would go with the 5 gallon if it were me because I like not having to worry about blow offs.

Would two 3 gallon bottles have a smaller footprint than one 5 gallon? If so, you could split your batch.

I have a 6 gallon bubbler that I know accommodates less than my glass version of "equal" measure. I wouldn't feel safe filling either to the brim with beer...sounds like a geyser in the making. Apfelwein requires very little headspace though, if you really want to fill a carboy to the top.

Also, I seem to remember Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis working out a similar problem at a park fountain. But I forgot the results.

I'd be surprised if the BB held 1/2 gallon beyond stated capacity, and even if it did, I wouldn't want to find out with an active fermentation. You need some headspace for the krausen. Filling it to the neck is asking for a blowout.

I have tried searching for an answer (posed as the title) but could not find one. I am sure that this topic has been brought up a few times, so please excuse my redundancy.

I often brew slightly more than 3 1/2 gallons (because I get an "even" case and a half worth of beer) and am wondering if the 3 gallon Better Bottle would accommodate this volume. I asked around my LHBS and the general consensus was "I don't know. You'll have to purchase one and find out for yourself". The 5 gallon Better Bottle is only $1.45 more, but the 3 gallon has a smaller foot print and I can accommodate more 3 gallon bottles in my fermentation chamber than I can with 5 gallon bottles.

If anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

Based on the info on the BB website a 3 gal BB holds 3 gal when filled to the bottom of the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I forgot I'm aging a sour in there right now so I can't fill it up. But here's a pic of it. I don't think there's a half gallon above that 3 mark.

1402445365564.jpg

I doubt it

Agreed, because the 2.5 gallon mark is at the bottom of that rectangular label indentation.

I would either go with the 5 gallon, start brewing slightly smaller batches, or go with two of the 3 gallons.

Based on my 5 gallon and 6 gallon Better Bottles and the pic above you will not even be able to ferment a 3 gallon batch in a 3 gallon better bottle. I can only do about 5 gallons in my 6 gallon Better Bottles. You need the headspace!

Based on my 5 gallon and 6 gallon Better Bottles and the pic above you will not even be able to ferment a 3 gallon batch in a 3 gallon better bottle. I can only do about 5 gallons in my 6 gallon Better Bottles. You need the headspace!

Agree completely. I do six gal batches but split into two three gallon batches. Each goes into a 5 gal BB. Even then I sometimes need a blow off tube.

bb_3g_measure.jpg

i've used them when i do 2.5 gallon batches and they work perfectly. I don't think i'd trust them with anything over 3 gallons, they certainly wouldn't hold 3.5.
I do however wish they made 5 and 6 gallons square carboys like this though or more rectangular ones... as i can fit 2 side by side in my chest freezer so i could do 3 batches, but i can only stick 2 normal carboys in.

Latest posts

Back