Active yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerGeorge

Reaction score
Forgive me if these questions have been asked a thousand times, but it is my first batch of cider. In a 5 gallon food grade bucket I added 4.5 gallons of Musselman's cider and a can of frozen concentrated. I had purchased some Lalvin EC-118 from Amazon a month or so ago and stored it in the refrigerator. I pitched the yeast is some warm water with some cider mixed in and saw minor bubbling in the pint jar. Not really knowing what to expect, I watched about 4 hours of less than vigorous yeast activity. I then mixed the yeast in the bucket, secured the bucket and loaded the air lock. After two days in a cool (about 65 degree) closet, I had zero bubbles in the airlock. I then mixed another package of yeast (bought 10 when I got them). This time I got a bit more bubbling activity so I decided it was probably bad yeast the first time. After a few hours, I poured the second batch of yeast in the cider. Two days later still no bubbles in airlock. Am I dealing with bad yeast? How long until I should be seeing bubbles? Is there something more I should do to the yeast to bring it along? I have 8 more packets. Should I keep mixing in yeast until it takes off? If you can tell where I went wrong, please let me know.

Did you use any yeast nutrient?

Airlock activity is not a sure sign of fermentation. Oft times there is a lot of air loss around the lid of the bucket, even if you think it is on tight.

The only sure way to know is to take a gravity reading, but I don't recommend that for another week or 2, assuming you took a SG.

You have pitched enough yeast, now relax and let them do their thing

Thanks Mike. I'll excercise a bit more patience and see what happens. I was just expecting more activity. Next batch will defininately be in a carboy, but was kind of "testing the waters" on this batch. I didn't take into account the blind faith required in a food grade bucket. Thanks for your reply.

Why are you waiting a few hours after hydrating your yeast to pitch it? I doubt this is causing an issue but it is not necessary.

I guess I'm not sure. I read a ton before starting and thought I'd read that somewhere. Won't do it next time. Thanks for the input.

Hydrate yeast in juice. Not water. Add nutrient to recipe next time. Wrap a blanket around your bucket and wait for now.

From Lavin's data sheet on EC-1118:

Rehydrate EC-1118 in 5 times its weight of potable water at 40°C. Let stand for at least 20 minutes
then gently stir occasionally to break up any clumps. Add to the must.
- THE TOTAL REHYDRATION DURATION SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 45 MINUTES
- AVOID COLD SHOCKING THE YEAST. THE TEMPERATURE DROP BETWEEN THE
MUST TO BE INOCULATED AND THE REHYDRATION MEDIUM SHOULD NEVER BE
>10°C (if any doubt, please contact your supplier or Lallemand)
- IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REHYDRATE THE YEAST IN A CLEAN CONTAINER.
- INITIAL REHYDRATION IN MUST IS NOT ADVISABLE.

Back