Active fermintation in secondary ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
Me and the roomy brewed a regular ole Stone ipa clone last Saturday .. We had a slightly delayed reaction after adding the wyeast 1056 but after a full 24 hours we had definite action in the carboy .. After a week of less than our normal explosive fermentation , we still have a fairly dense but short krausen ... My question is before I take a gravity reading and secondary on to some centennial , should I expect any extra drop in gravity after I take it off the yeast cake ?

I would take a gravity reading....1 week is a short time in the primary, especially for an IPA. I would leave it for 2 weeks before dry hopping in secondary

Well it does say in the book to primary for a week and then sec for a week , then keg

Well it does say in the book to primary for a week and then sec for a week , then keg

Have a hydrometer? if so, trust it to tell you when your beer is done, vs a book timeline that was written by someone that did not brew your beer, in your equipment with your process, method of yeast pitching, type of yeast, pitching temp, fermentation temp...

Thanks y'all .. In my limited exp ( 15 batches or so ) ... I would normally let this primary until everything fell to the bottom of the carboy , but the particular batch is for my roomate and brewing partners wedding in a few weeks.. So I'm jus trying give this batch the best chance to finish without taking to long lol .. Also , was wondering , are the more natural sugars from all grain / mini mashes more likely to ferment less aggressively than a more DME rich partial recipe ?

Back