Activated Wyeast Pack Still Usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papajcik

Reaction score
I activated a wyeast smack pack but had to stop my brew mid-boil. I hadn't opened the pack, so I threw it in the fridge. If I bring the yeast up to room temperature, it should still be good to go, right?

it will be good to go unless your og and production date of the yeast warrant a starter.

I'm a little confused. Why can't he use it for a starter? Isn't a starter just a smaller amount of wort?

the yeast is viable, it is good to go. whether there is enough yeast, for the planned beer, depends upon how old the yeast is and the estimated og of the beer.

Room temp is not harmful to yeast. Yeast will remain viable for longer if kept cold, but they are not actually harmed by being at room temp, they just go through their normal life cycle at a slightly faster rate the warmer it is up to about 90F, which is when you might actually start to harm them due to heat.

Activating the pack is as much a marketing gimmick as anything else. Nothing particularly special happens due to "activation."

I believe "activation" is only there to proof yeast life, shown by metabolic activity, creation of CO2 and the bag swells.

If you pop the inner nutritional package then warm it up and the pack never swells.... well yo yeast is dead and don't use it.

Back