Aciduated Malt (acid malt) recipes for a sour American ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbreen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - the current MagicHat Odd Notion is a sour American Ale that makes use of 10% aciduated malt for its sourness instead of special yeast. When the family was in town a few weeks back we were at the brewery sampling and this was a surprise favorite.

Has any one worked up any sour ale recipes based on this malt? I searched recipes/threads here, but only found the Berlinner Weisse. I would love to add a sour ale to the rotation, especially if I don't have to wait a year for they beer to sour.

Thanks for any pointers. And, if none exist, I'll let you know what I come up with.

I love this beer, but apparently lots of people don't... If you do happen to find a recipe, extract (preferred) or not, PLEASE let me know. I'd love to give it a go.

Likewise...I'm a critic but analysis only goes so far for me. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the good things of a beer, even if you secretly keep in mind the bad things (I know that's the opposite of what a critique is supposed to be)

That's a strange approach, indeed. By using acidulated malt as the souring agent, they're lowering the pH of their mash, probably well below the typical 5.2-5.6. I expect that predicting efficiency will be difficult and that it will be relatively low.

I think you'd be better off replicating the flavors rather than the technique. The two simplest methods are Philly Sour yeast and co-fermenting with yeast and lactobacillus. More control over sourness can be achieved with a kettle sour method.

Malts (10 lb 1.5 oz)
5 lb (49.5%) — White Wheat — Grain — 2.6 °L

3 lb 8 oz (34.7%) — Pilsner — Grain — 1.9 °L

1 lb 8 oz (14.9%) — Acidulated Malt — Grain — 3.1 °L

1.5 oz (0.9%) — Acidulated Malt — Grain — 3.1 °L

One thing I might do if attempting to make a sour with acidulated malt is to initially add only enough to get the mash down to a pH of 5.2. Once the sacch rest is complete, add the remaining acidulated malt and mash for another 30-60 minutes before mashing out. This way, the majority of the mash is completed at optimal pH levels, yet you still can add a large amount of acidulated malt.

One thing I might do if attempting to make a sour with acidulated malt is to initially add only enough to get the mash down to a pH of 5.2. Once the sacch rest is complete, add the remaining acidulated malt and mash for another 30-60 minutes before mashing out. This way, the majority of the mash is completed at optimal pH levels, yet you still can add a large amount of acidulated malt.

Yep, this is exactly what I did.

I have used this method also, some say it does not have the complexity of using bugs, but it is lacto and tastes good to me. Specially if you are going to add anything to the finished beer. I used this with a gose and it was great. :mug:

Back