Acid rest malfunction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytor2012

Reaction score
Hello brew lords!
I was brewing a Pilsner the other day. My plan was to use a triple decoction mash. I doughed in at the acid rest temp and hit my target temp of 100 F. I let it rest for 30 minutes and I checked the ph. It was 5.7. I, then, attempted to lower it by adding 1 g of gypsum. I gave it 10 minutes and checked the ph again. It went up to 5.82. I scratched my head...this can’t be right. I proceeded to calibrate my ph meter (hi-98128) and checked again...same result. I added another gram of gypsum. Ph 5.85. WTF? I then added .5 g gypsum and .5 g calcium chloride. Ph 5.9. Next, I added 1 oz of crushed debittered Belgian black malt. No change. What the heck is happening here??? In theory all of those things should have lowered the ph. To me, it’s like having a pot of water on the stove, applying heat and watching the temperature go down instead of up! Can anyone shed some light on this scenario?

Let me clarify that the incremental increases may not be exact, but the point is that the ph was rising instead of falling.

I used the last of the bottles, but if I had to guess I’d say I had them over a year. That being said, I brewed the same beer the very next day with a single infusion mash. I added my salts as I usually do per John Palmer’s spreadsheet and my ph was 5.3.

Gypsum dissolves more easily in cold water so at the temperature your mash was at it might have taken a bit longer. How old is your PH meter? PH probes don't last forever unfortunately and erratic behavior might be one of the early signs of a probe that is about to expire...

to bad you didn't have some phosphoric acid to try....what efficiency did you end up with? i know when i have big changes to make stuff like epsom salts aren't enough to lower it, gotta whip out the acid...

Back