Acetylhyde in Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFrankMac

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of extract Caribou Slobber recently and had some judged in a local BJCP sanctioned competiton. I only scored a 25, mainly due to judges picking up on some Acetylhyde and a tiny bit of diacetyl which was a definite letdown as my other beers were in the mid 30s.

I'm curious as to what could have caused this as I kept my ferm temps in the mid to upper 60s, fermented in the primary for 21 days and secondary for 21 days. Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks and I believe the beer was judged around the 4 week mark in the bottle.

I'm wondering if this could be some sort of contamination issue or just a beer that isn't maturing as fast as usual?

Has anyone else had a similar issue despite the long ferm periods? I'm kind of clueless as to what could have caused this...

Both could be a result of being under pitched, I would try it with a starter next time, a single 2L starter should work for that beer.

Ok, I will have to try that next time. The only other thing I can think of is that I failed to properly aerate the wort as thoroughly as usual.

Back