Acetyl Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When using your torch tanks to aerate your wort, use the 02 tank, not the acetylene. (; Before I got a dedicated brewing 02 tank, I used to use my torch rig, and would joke about that when having a rough brew day.

Seriously, if you mean diaceytl or something else like that, aging will mellow most off flavors to some degree.

Lol to the acetylene as well. Sure you mean acetaldehyde, which will fade with time. Takes a bit longer in the bottle than the keg since you can offgas the keg to help it get rid of the flavor.

A better description would be “solvent like”. My next batch came out this way also. I think my room temps may be too high. Room temps stay 74-75F. Is this too high?

A better description would be “solvent like”. My next batch came out this way also. I think my room temps may be too high. Room temps stay 74-75F. Is this too high?

Is 75 your fermentation temp or you bottle conditioning temp? If it's the fermentation temp, then, yes, that's too high. Fermentation creates heat, so the actual beer fermentation temp could have been in the 80s, leading to "jet fuel" or solvent like off-flavors. If 75 was the bottle conditioning temp, I think that would be OK.

Your off-flavor could have to do with your water, but I'll let someone with more water knowhow chime in there.

75 ambient temp is too high for standard ale yeasts, but is an easy fix with a cooler and frozen water bottles. See swamp cooler.

I'm not a water expert, but I have had astringency and fusel problems with my very hard well water. Changing to filtered water fixed this immediately.

If you can get your hands on it, kveik yeast is supposed to be clean at higher temperatures.

Latest posts

Back