Acerglyn ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danlund443

Reaction score
Wanted to make a simple acerglyn 1 gallon for the first time. What is a good honey to maple syrup ratio? I usually use 3 to 4 pounds of honey for show meads. Would clover honey be best to allow the maple flavor to not be overwhelmed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't made an acerglyn yet. But the impression I get is that honey is a much much stronger flavor than maple. So I would say 2 parts maple to 1 part honey to start. Might need to take that ratio to 3:1 or more later if that doesn't turn out to your liking. It's probably in that neighborhood, that's my guess. I agree that clover honey is a great option, but any mild honey (like orange blossom or others) could also work well.

Good luck. Sounds yummy.

I just made a concoction with maple syrup today. 3.5 gallon batch.
3.75 qts maple syrup
2/3 pint basswood honey
1 qt blueberries
OG 1.105
71 b yeast

I don't know what to call this, April Fools Maple Mead ? but all the ingredient are from the property except the yeast. Use what ya got i quess. Its bound to be drinkable over time right ? Will probably backsweeten later. could end up dry.

Last edited:
I see now what I am making is Maple Wine and this is in the wrong forum. Noob.
Anyhow, progressing nicely, about 30 hrs after pitching saw some airlock activity.
Removed the cover and laid a towel over it.
The whole house smells of it.
The 8 gram yeast packet had been in the fridge for 2 1/2 years so used all of it.
Re-hydrating it showed good activity.

Last edited:
This maple wine is going gangbusters. Four days of active fermentation and its almost halfway there with
specific gravity now at 1.060. It dropped 20 points in the last day.

Last edited:
I made my first (Maple) Acerglyn today using the following:

3 lbs of organic maple syrup.
1 lb of honey (from a friends hive).
1 cinnamon stick.
1/2 tsp of Lalvin D47 yeast.
1 tsp of yeast nutrient.

I know some call it a maple wine, but my understanding is that it has honey, therefore it's an acerglyn. Anyway, I pasteurized the must before putting it in my brew bucket. Got an OG of 1.120 and an amazing smell in the house for the afternoon! Looking forward to the finished product. You can see how I made it on our YouTube channel (Sunstone). I try to post the results of it here in a few months. Danlund443, it's been a few months for yours. How did it turn out?

Yall must really like maple! Lol
I made a acerglyn a while back and it was almost too strong, but that could have been that it fermented almost to 18%..used the following proportion (3 gal batch)

7 lbs honey
5.5 lbs maple syrup
3 cinnamon sticks
71b 1112 yeast

Next time I'm going to add vanilla, and many carmelized the honey, tastes reminiscent of French toast so I want to get it closer..

Correction: used more honey than that, forgot exactly how much..OG 1.129, FG 0.996

Latest posts

Back