Accidentally Started My First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tolroe

Reaction score
I intended on brewing my fourth ale (only been brewing for a few months), but I accidentally purchased the wrong yeast and did not realize it until after I had pitched it into the wort. I reached for an American Ale and ended up with Wyeast American Lager (2035). Without an adequate temperature control I filled a storage bin with cold water and a couple frozen juice containers. I am able to maintain 59-60f with this setup, but getting it much colder will require replacing bags of ice every other day or so. I also have no place to lager at the proper temperatures. So far there has not been much activity(~24 hrs in). What are my options? Can I re-rack and add an ale yeast with limited off flavors? Should I ice this batch every day to drop it to 50f and see what happens?

ice it and wait.

if you warm it up, that lager yeast will still have a major head start over fresh ale yeast and you're likely to end up with some weird flavors from fermenting the lager yeast at higher temps.

Latest posts

Back