Accidentally ordered peat malt (recipe screw up)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-18

Reaction score
So for this weekend I wanted to get going on the second version of my rauchbier. However, when I got home and checked my order at the local brewshop, I realized that I accidentally ordered their peat smoked malt, not regular smoked malt. :smack:

Now I ramped up the smoke malt this time, because the malt I used last time was really boring, no real smoke to it. That time I used 15%. For this recipe I raised it to 30%. But now, the malt on the way is peat malt. It has been crushed and mixed with the other grains before I receive it, so its not like I can take some out.

I have never used peat malt or even smelled it, but I hear it's really powerful.

What to you guys think, is 30% of the total bill, so over the top that I might as well not bother making it, or should I just go for it anyway?

Are you a fan of the taste of creosote, Lysol antiseptic, or the smell of burning tires? If so you're in luck. If not then maybe you can acquire the taste. Yes, peat smoked malt is powerful and at 30% it is going to be very significant. Some people like it, maybe you are one of those. Brew it up and try it. If you don't like it maybe somebody you know will.

I have never used peat malt or even smelled it, but I hear it's really powerful.

What to you guys think, is 30% of the total bill, so over the top that I might as well not bother making it, or should I just go for it anyway?
At .5% to 1% of the grist, many report it will make a pretty significant impact. At 30%, I think it would be undrinkable. Ed
:mug:

I used it at 2% in a brown ale and it was strong but not overpowering. At 30% it's going to absolutely dominate your beer to the point where you might need to take up cigarettes to get the taste out!

I would buy a new batch of grain, without the smoked malt, and run some calculations to add some of the premixed grains to the fresh batch to achieve your smoke flavor.

I contacted the brewshop, and they actually were able to stop the shipment and replace the bag with new grains with regular smoked malt.

And just for fun I got them to add 1,5% of the peat malt to the new mix - I think that should do the trick!

Hurray for good brewshops!

I contacted the brewshop, and they actually were able to stop the shipment and replace the bag with new grains with regular smoked malt.

And just for fun I got them to add 1,5% of the peat malt to the new mix - I think that should do the trick!

Hurray for good brewshops!

So you have 30% cherry smoked malt + 1.5% peat smoked malt now?

So you have 30% cherry smoked malt + 1.5% peat smoked malt now?

Well they say it's regular smoked malt, not sure what it's smoked with. They said the regular is substantially less smokey.
And yeah, 1,5% peat.

I made a beer with 100% peat smoked malt. It's delicious. Won some competitions. But it is a, you love it or you hate it type of beer.

Well they say it's regular smoked malt, not sure what it's smoked with. They said the regular is substantially less smokey.
And yeah, 1,5% peat.

rauchmalt is traditionally beechwood smoked & can make up to 100% of the grist no problem.
sounds like you're gonna make some great beer... good luck!

Back