Accidentally Cold Crashed my Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrstud

Reaction score
Brewing the "Ultimate Porter" over the weekend. Got everything sorted, wort cooled and the yeast starter ready. Pitched the yeast (Irish Ale) and put it in my chest freezer/fermentation chamber. Plugged it in and went to bed. Checked in on it in the morning only to see the temperature reading 1C. Quickly remembered I had lowered the temp because my mini fridge died and I used the chest freezer until I got a replacement and I never adjusted back the temperature to 18C. Pulled out the bucket and left it to warm up in the workshop.

So... What is the effect of cold crashing my wort right after pitching the yeast? I have spare yeast that I collected from the started if I need to re-pitch.

I'm thinking that I am okay and that fermentation will kick in once things warm up. Will I introduce off flavors by stressing the yeast?

Thoughts?

I did something like this. Had two Imperial stouts in the fermentation chamber, controller failed and dropped the temp to just above freezing just a day or so into fermentation. Got it corrected and both fermentations picked back up. They both attenuated fine, and these were OGs of 1.095 and 1.137.

So, was it ideal? no.
Will it be ok? yes
Off flavors? probably not, i'd worry about that more if the temp got way too high early in fermentation

Back