ACCIDENTAL Sour Stories

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a Perry a couple of years ago with pears from my own tree. Juicing them was really difficult without the right equipment. But I juiced 30 lbs. I added this to some storebought pear juice and made 3 gal of perry.

I bottled two gal, and after a couple of months is was OK, the first several bottles were kind of blagh. But then it got sour and really interesting. One friend even asked if he could get my recipe.

The last gal stayed in a jug for 4 months, then bottle. By the time I opened some it was so sour it was unfit to drink. more than Halfway to vinegar. I struggled down a couple of bottles, but finally threw the rest away. If it just would have stayed like it was in the middle; "not to bland, not too sour...just right"

A few months ago I brewed an extract stout. I cold steeped the dark grains overnight, but left them out at room temperature instead of putting them in the fridge. I ended up with a slight sourness reminiscent of Guinness.

Back