Accidental Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scparks

Reaction score
So I made a grave mistake with my latest batch of beer. I thought I would get the forums thoughts.

About 2 weeks ago I brewed an standard wheat beer recipe from Sicliano's in Grand Rapids, MI. Everything went great, no issues. Was really looking forward to having this beer.

Fermentation was great, used a blow off tube. After about a week I switched to a 3 piece airlock. Set it and forget it. Last night I thought I would check FG and then throw it in the keg. Upon inspection I had found that I did not put the inside piece of the airlock inside the airlock. Basically the beer had been open to air for over a week. I took a sample because I was curious on the taste. It really did taste funny, maybe like a soapy type taste (I'm not really that great at detecting off flavors yet).

I think I'm just going to toss it due to the weird taste and just knowing that it was open to air that long. If nothing else, It is a mistake that I won't let happen again.

Anyone else have this experience and did you toss it as well? Is there a way to save the beer?

Cheers

Im guessing its sealed up now? I'd let it sit for another week or two and see if the flavor is there. "Soapy" is nowhere near the stale cardboard taste of oxidized beer. Its most likely a yeast off flavor which hopefully theyll clean up

Im guessing its sealed up now? I'd let it sit for another week or two and see if the flavor is there. "Soapy" is nowhere near the stale cardboard taste of oxidized beer. Its most likely a yeast off flavor which hopefully theyll clean up

Yeah I got it sealed up now. I'll sit on it awhile. Like I said, I'm not great with off flavors yet. Maybe It's all in my head since I expected it to taste bad.

During fermentation there is a lot of CO2 being produced therefore the chances of Oxygen getting in is minimal. Although leaving it open after fermentation occured might lead to some oxidation.

My personal opinion: I would not toss any beer that is not "undrinkable". If it is oxidized there are chances it will not be like you wanted it to, but still beer. Drink it, learn to identify the off-flavors and learn for your next one!

Yeah, I've had a few beers, most notably ones with oak cubes, that werent undrinkable, but I didnt want to finish a whole bottle of them. Months went by, and now its actually good. Not just drinkable, but good

you might wanna watch this before you toss it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClXKMhcFr0&safe=active[/ame]

see the airlock? i don't.

Back