Accidental ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catchineddies

Reaction score
I joined this forum to get ready to try some wine and home brew in the future. I have no equipment of any kind. However, i made a quart of grape juice from our black, seedy grapes we have on our property (no idea on variety, they were here when we bought this place). It was for the kids but I left it on the counter a couple if days intending on dumping it out. When I opened it there was a lot of internal pressure and it smells of alcohol.

Since I didn’t sanitize anything should I just dump it or experiment with it? What can I do?

Attachments

• 11F0518F-3695-48A0-B31F-1F45ECEDF3A3.jpeg
    11F0518F-3695-48A0-B31F-1F45ECEDF3A3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A7444CD3-40C7-4252-8AA9-991E1ABC8247.jpeg
    A7444CD3-40C7-4252-8AA9-991E1ABC8247.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I put it in a pint jar with a fermenting lid on it we use for fermented cabbage. I sucked the air out. How long do I keep it like that? Do I strain it at some point? Is there some basic tools for testing alcohol content or something I should get?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
A hydrometer is used to meassure specific gravity. The lwoer the gravity, the more sugar has been fermented to alcohol. In your case, I assume it will fully ferment and reach something around 1.0 gravity or even a bit lower.

Let it sit in there for 2-4 weeks or until there is absolutely no activity, then strain it through a colander. Make sure you sanitize everything that come into contact with it. If you don't have any sanitizers, soak everything in straight white distilled vinegar, and rinse with boiled water (cooled while covered).

Straining it will pretty much oxidise the ish out of it and you will be lucky if you end up with good tasting vinegar. Let it ferment it, let it settle till clear, age it if you want, and then drink. No transfer, no nothing, just time an d drink.

Back