Accident with primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bk2X

Reaction score
So today was 7 days since i Pitched yeast. I went to drop trub out of my conical and forgot to pull the blowoff tube. It basically siphoned the tap water from my bottle back into the primary. I was looking down at the bottom of the conical and heard aboul 1/2oz of water enter primary. Tried searching the consequences but seems i am the only to do this. Anyone know if i am going to have issues with the beer or if there is anything i need to do at this point?

Your probably fine but only time will tell for sure.

This is why it's allways a good idea to use sterile water in the airlock or blowoff.
Some people use cheap whiskey or vodka.

I use cheap vodka in my airlocks. Water with a splash of starsan in my blow off jugs. A bit more insurance that way in case I get some suck back.

How filthy was the water? Since you said it had had 7 days since you pitched the yeast I would assume you have sufficient alcohol produced to kill most things that would be in that small amount of water. What you mostly need to do now is RDWHAHB. What's been done is irreversible and besides the probability of anything bad happening is low.

Since you said it had had 7 days since you pitched the yeast I would assume you have sufficient alcohol produced to kill most things that would be in that small amount of water.

+1. You are not the only one. Been there, done that, turned out fine. I think you are okay.

Latest posts

Back