+++ abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
Just racked my first batch into the secondary. Hydrometer reading tells me it's finished with an abv of 5.75. It's a BB iPa. I am happy with that. Is there a way in future brews to elevate the abv in an extract kit that says around 6. Basically what I'm looking for is to spend aroun $45-$50 and up the abv without compromising taste. Is this wishful thinking? Do I just need to pony up and pay more for bigger beers? For,instance, dogfish 90 minute is one of my favorites but the kit at my local HBS is $90. Any way to brew something like that cheaper?

Adding corn sugar, table sugar, DME, LME, or any fermentable will bump up your ABV. But, it will also alter your taste. It may make the beer sweeter or dryer depending on what you use.

I'd add some extra light DME to the mix. Actually, if it was me I'd probably get the bigger kit or find a recipe I could put together to save a few bucks. I think recipes are more fun than kits.

As a noob I'll ask the question... Will LME or DME make it dryer or sweeter? I know the sugar would sweeten it, but wasn't sure about the added extract.

The sugar will dry it out, because it will be fully fermented. The LME/DME may make it little maltier becaue they contain some unfermentables. That's why I recommend Extra Light. I use it occasionally when my OG comes in a bit low.

I use a pound of cornsugar around 15 min in the boil to dry it out and bump up ABV. I also think that is what Austin Homebrew supply does when you elect to bump up the ABV 1%.

So if I added one pound corn sugar to an iPa kit or recipe, I could bump abv 1% withouth affecting taste to much? Or would I have to add something else to balance it out?

It would bump the ABV but will also dry out and thin the beer. My rule of thumb is to use about half a pound of sugar for every pound of DME after 6lb of LME. The usually gets me around 1.008 with US-05. Some beer shouldn't go that low. If you add to many fermentables you need to balance it out with more IBU's or your beer will be out of balance. BU/GU ratio is very important. Probably more important than IBU's.

For example
6lb LME
2lb DME
1lb Corn Sugar

Back