ABV tolerance for "Quad" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
What are the limits?

If I have a big enough mash tun, enough hops, and high gravity yeast, what is stopping me from making a 15% ipa other than the fact that it's unlikely to ever taste all that hoppy at that percent regardless of how many hops I throw at it?

I'm thinking something like

19 lbs of 2 row with a lb of victory, a couple lbs of corn sugar, and some acid malt for ph.

Mashed at 148

With a little over a lb of Summit, Columbus, and Simcoe total (about 7 in dry hop, 3 stages)

Fermented with Super High Gravity Yeast from a 2 liter starter.

If anyone has attempted such a beer, please give feedback on what sort of problems I will face.

I tried a 11% ipa once, but the yeast wasn't all that healthy so it had a lot of diacetyl, and by the time it faded, the hops didn't really stand out anymore.

What are the limits?
If I have a big enough mash tun, enough hops, and high gravity yeast, what is stopping me from making a 15% ipa other than the fact that it's unlikely to ever taste all that hoppy at that percent regardless of how many hops I throw at it?
I'm thinking something like
19 lbs of 2 row with a lb of victory, a couple lbs of corn sugar, and some acid malt for ph.
Mashed at 148
With a little over a lb of Summit, Columbus, and Simcoe total (about 7 in dry hop, 3 stages)
Fermented with Super High Gravity Yeast from a 2 liter starter.
If anyone has attempted such a beer, please give feedback on what sort of problems I will face.
I tried a 11% ipa once, but the yeast wasn't all that healthy so it had a lot of diacetyl, and by the time it faded, the hops didn't really stand out anymore.

You might want to not add the corn sugar until at the end of the boil which would give you a better hop extraction. Or start with a lower gravity wort for the boil and add some extract for the last few minutes.

3 pounds of dextrose and a **** ton of yeast and give it time to eat up all the sugars. it'll probably ferment for at least 14 days before you'll even dry hop. you'll want to get that thing dry!

There are threads for DFH 120 min clones. Feed the fermentor sugars after primary has begun; daily doses. Use a big yeast pitch of your choosing but add a high gravity yeast later on. Remember high gravity = lower hop utilization.

You can also get the same OG by starting with more grain and boiling longer, thus concentrating the wort. In other words, you could make a brew as if you're brewing say an 8 gallon batch, but boil for longer until it's down a 5 gallon batch, as an example. This keeps you from having to add corn sugar or DME, which I'm not a huge fan of personally. You can also boil bittering hops longer, and this may help with hop utilization. Also, pick a yeast strain with high attenuation and alcohol tolerance. If you're looking at around 15%, I'd use WLP099.

Back