ABV concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deason

Reaction score
I've just done my week test and the Hydrometer has just sunk to the bottom of my tester sample!!!

The brew is a coopers Irish stout with a full tin of treacle and half KG of muntons dextrose.

I started around 1030 on OG (I'm dam sure) its now reading 10 on the coopers hydrometer...

Should I be worried? I've worked this to be about 40% proof :)

A stout with an OG of 1.030? You sure you got an accurate reading? That sounds really low.

I'm such an idiot I forgot to take down the og...

Should I add some more yeast again? If I do would I need to put the krausen back in and stir it about again?

It's about two weeks old now

Don'tr mess with it, that is the worst thing you can do. Take another reading in a few days, and if it is the same as the last, it is done, and you can bottle.

If you really want more advice, you need to provide a complete list of the ingredients and amounts you added, and what yeast you used. We will probably conclude you had a higher OG than 1.030, and you are done and it can be bottled.

I bought some Alcotec restart yeast...but you guys sound like I shoulda leave it.

Is the alcohol level going to increase in the bottle?

I bought some Alcotec restart yeast...but you guys sound like I shoulda leave it.

Is the alcohol level going to increase in the bottle?

Only slightly as the yeast eat the priming sugar. I'm not convinced that your beer will be only 2.6% alcohol but you haven't provided anything to base that on. Post the whole recipe and you'll get better information.

Back