About to use almost 3 week old slurry. How big of a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I use a stir plate. And have about 100 mL of washed yeast going on 3 weeks old by the time I brew.

So my question is how big of a starter do I make? I use mr malty and it says how many mL of slurry to use. so do i..

1. Use xx mL and just pitch straight into wort ( no starter )

2. Make a starter ( if so how big ) , and secondly, wouldn't this be propogating more yeast, leading to over pitching?

So confused :cross:

well its in the fridge. so about 100 mL of yeast solids. OG would be about 1.068 for about 5 - 5.25 gallons

Looks like MrMalty calls for ~100mL of yeast solids for a 5.25 batch of 1.068 if they're 3 weeks old. Maybe ok to just pitch it?

so no starter...?

I'm not expert but 100mL of solids is a lot if the viability is high. I would be glad to hear other people chime in on this, but it seems like you could get away without one. I'm a fan of starters though.

100ml of yeast solids is a pretty decent ammount, and judging by pabloj's calculations you should be right on the money.

A starter is most likely not necessary, however, a small starter wouldn't really hurt. It would ensure both viability and that the yeast are active.

It also depends on the style of beer. For A brew such as a hefe , I wouldn't use a starter because you want some esters. However, most lagers or clean ales don't require esters, so pitching unstressed yeast would allow for clean fermentation.

If you have good handling and storage procedures, it is fine to straight pitch. I do it all the time up to a month and never had a problem (there is always a first time though).

Back