About to start my backyard brewery, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapperxl

Reaction score
So shockingly my HOA approved me to build a 10x12 metal shed in my backyard. The shed I'm going with is a barn-style 7' roof height (Arrow SR1012) 115' sq ft. This is going to be my brewery. I'm currently doing 3 vessel gravity all-grain brewing but I've started planning a 3 vessel RIMS or HERMS (haven't decided) PLC controlled brewery in the future. I'm sure I'm gonna have tons of questions as this progresses, but the first thing I'm wondering is what kinda floor to build. Concrete is not really an option due to cost and location of the shed. I was planning on building just a plain wood floor made out of treated 4x4s and plywood, but the more I think about it the more I think I'd like to have a water-resistant type floor (epoxy? tile? painted?) with a center drain. My question is what have other people done and what works/doesn't as far as floors go? Thanks in advance for any help.

So shockingly my HOA approved me to build a 10x12 metal shed in my backyard. The shed I'm going with is a barn-style 7' roof height (Arrow SR1012) 115' sq ft. This is going to be my brewery. I'm currently doing 3 vessel gravity all-grain brewing but I've started planning a 3 vessel RIMS or HERMS (haven't decided) PLC controlled brewery in the future. I'm sure I'm gonna have tons of questions as this progresses, but the first thing I'm wondering is what kinda floor to build. Concrete is not really an option due to cost and location of the shed. I was planning on building just a plain wood floor made out of treated 4x4s and plywood, but the more I think about it the more I think I'd like to have a water-resistant type floor (epoxy? tile? painted?) with a center drain. My question is what have other people done and what works/doesn't as far as floors go? Thanks in advance for any help.

As long as your foundations are good, and you aren't going to get much in the way of movement, I would think tile would be a relatively easy way to go, if you have a square room:

• 3/4" plywood
  • Cement board over that.
  • Mortar + tile over top.

It's quick, easy, relatively cheap depending on the tile. You can lay in-floor heating in the mortar if you so desire. The cement board is primarily to add extra stability to the floor / eliminate flex.

On the upside, once your grout is sealed this floor will be waterproof and durable. Cleanup of tile is easy. Unlike vinyl flooring, you don't need to worry about seams getting wet / lifting etc.

On the downside, once you've laid this floor, cutting new drains etc. will be a huge PITA.

If you were worried about putting the shed up I can't imagine they would let you put a drain in it. Most building codes will make you put a oil filter in it as well. Where would you run the drain?

I forgot to mention that no permits are required. Outbuildings under 120 sq ft do not require a permit per IBC and my city. I understand it "should" be to code but I'm really only concerned with things that are unsafe. I'd probably just run the drain off to the side of the shed, maybe into a gravel bed just for looks. I'm not going to do anything other then brewing in the shed and maybe storing some stuff so I don't need to worry about oil. I live in a very small town in Texas so I'm not too concerned about codes. I'm not going to get a visit by code enforcement unless I have a neighbor complaining and my neighbors are all good people.

Here, while a movable out building does not require permits, as soon as you go with poured foundations you need the Full Monte building permit...

Cheers!

As long as your foundations are good, and you aren't going to get much in the way of movement, I would think tile would be a relatively easy way to go, if you have a square room:

• 3/4" plywood
  • Cement board over that.
  • Mortar + tile over top.

It's quick, easy, relatively cheap depending on the tile. You can lay in-floor heating in the mortar if you so desire. The cement board is primarily to add extra stability to the floor / eliminate flex.

On the upside, once your grout is sealed this floor will be waterproof and durable. Cleanup of tile is easy. Unlike vinyl flooring, you don't need to worry about seams getting wet / lifting etc.

On the downside, once you've laid this floor, cutting new drains etc. will be a huge PITA.

I think I'm gonna go with a 6-8" gravel bed a foot wider/longer then the shed with 4x4 skids on top of that so I shouldn't have much flex, but where I live the ground is primarily clay so I won't have much flex but there'll be some heaving of the entire shed. Foundation repair is big business in this area:smack: I could probably get away with tile but I also hate installing it, it's such a PITA even though a square shed wouldn't require alot of cutting. Something to consider for sure...

Here, while a movable out building does not require permits, as soon as you go with poured foundations you need the Full Monte building permit...

Cheers!

Yeah poured foundation is out of the question. Concrete is about 14$ a sq ft here with a 5 yard minimum. I could do it myself but that's more work then I want to do with my little HF concrete mixer. I guess I should have said that this will probably be my brewery for 3-5 years until I can get my big shop built that will have sewer/water/electric so I don't want to invest too much into it.

I'm not going to do anything other then brewing in the shed and maybe storing some stuff so I don't need to worry about oil.

You may not, but what about the next owner?

Codes are meant to protect the public, now and in future, not punish the builder.

BTW I brew in a shed building very similar in size, configuration and style as the one you're planning.

You may not, but what about the next owner?

Codes are meant to protect the public, now and in future, not punish the builder.

BTW I brew in a shed building very similar in size, configuration and style as the one you're planning.

It's a storage shed not a mechanic shop or even a garage. It'll be no different then washing out the garage with a water hose except it won't have standing water if I put a slope/drain in it. I could just slope the whole shed and have it drain out the front of the shed.

Got my shed ordered today. Should be there in 18 days so it should be there a little after I come back from offshore. I finished the dirt work before I left. I dug down 6" then back bladed the bottom down with my little tractor and compacted it with a hand tamper. I'm gonna add 3 yards of crushed concrete when I get back for the base then I'll build the subfloor out of 4x4 skids, run mobile anchors over that then go over the top with 3/4" treated plywood. I still haven't decided on a floor other then I'm not going to put in a drain. Not because of any codes but just the complexity of doing it for something I'm only only gonna use 3-5 years. I'll just give the whole floor like a 1" over 12' slope to keep any water from standing in it. I still haven't decided on a floor material but I'm leaning towards ceramic tile over concrete backer. I like the fact that I could put something hot on it without worrying about burning anything, fairly easy to clean once the grout is sealed and its pretty sanitary. Unless someone has a better idea?

1" over 12' is a lot of slope. You will feel (and see) that as being un-level. Normal water slope is about 1/4" per 20'. Slope it 1/4" and push any unlikely standing water with a squeegee.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Linoleum is cheap, you can just lay a towel down if you are going to set something hot on it. That's what I do in my hardwood kitchen! Just so you know, you are pushing me to build a nice big shed.

Thanks 1/4" it is then. I thought about linoleum or vinyl too it's not that big so I could probably get it as a left over for next to nothing. I'm thinking about just painting it with deck paint too. Tile wouldn't be that bad if I did it before I installed the shed. It's square so I'd only need to make straight cuts on two sides. I found some cheap ceramic for .55 a Sq ft. I could probably get away at about $1 a Sq ft for tile including backerboard, grout and thinset and I already have a tile saw and tile tools. Too many options...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

1" over 12' is a lot of slope. You will feel (and see) that as being un-level. Normal water slope is about 1/4" per 20'. Slope it 1/4" and push any unlikely standing water with a squeegee.

Are you sure about that? 1/4" over 20 feet seems easy missable over building tolerances, causing ponding. As a reference, when designing flat roof slope to drains, 1/4" per foot is commonly used. When I go home I'll dig thru my standards books.

Still the dimension that worries me the most here is the 7' ceiling. I think this will feel very cramped and might cause some issues with humidity an vapors, you might need some good venting or circulation of air to deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't got a clue on what the slope should be by code. I just wanna avoid ponding but keep it close to level as possible. I have this exact shed at my hunting property and it doesn't feel crowded when I'm in it, plus I can't go any higher with my HOA without going to a hardiplank/composition roof/slab on grade building nd spending a ton more money. I spend most of the time brewing in a chair drinking beer anyways so I think it'll be fine.

I am gonna put in forced ventilation gable vents or a window unit so that part will be taken care of. It's 90% humidity most of the year here anyways so I'm used to it.

Are you sure about that? 1/4" over 20 feet seems easy missable over building tolerances, causing ponding. As a reference, when designing flat roof slope to drains, 1/4" per foot is commonly used. When I go home I'll dig thru my standards books.

Still the dimension that worries me the most here is the 7' ceiling. I think this will feel very cramped and might cause some issues with humidity an vapors, you might need some good venting or circulation of air to deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1/4" per foot on a roof is logical, but that's a 3" slope over 12'. dont drop anything on the floor, it will roll right out the door!! But as far as water drainage goes (sewage drain, field tile, etc) 1/4" per 20' is common.
sapperxl - Here is what I would do to get an idea of the slope. lay out a length of 2X10 or similar (sheet of 4X8 plywood if you have it). if you have 12 footer like your shed length, fantastic, if not compensate. wedge something under one side and find the slope that you like standing on. pour a glass of water on it and watch it run off. Brace the middle with a piece of scrape so it doesnt bow on you and mess your judgement up!

edited to add - using a transit 1/4' over 20ft is easily attainable.

I am not sure why you are surprised. If I was on a planning board and someone wanted to build a brew shed next door, they'd get my support.
As far as drains I had to put one in my garage. Its a nice touch, but a slopped slab would work almost as well. Congrats on the new shed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

1/4" per foot on a roof is logical, but that's a 3" slope over 12'. dont drop anything on the floor, it will roll right out the door!! But as far as water drainage goes (sewage drain, field tile, etc) 1/4" per 20' is common.
sapperxl - Here is what I would do to get an idea of the slope. lay out a length of 2X10 or similar (sheet of 4X8 plywood if you have it). if you have 12 footer like your shed length, fantastic, if not compensate. wedge something under one side and find the slope that you like standing on. pour a glass of water on it and watch it run off. Brace the middle with a piece of scrape so it doesnt bow on you and mess your judgement up!

edited to add - using a transit 1/4' over 20ft is easily attainable.

I'm building the floor first and it's going to be on a gravel pad with concrete blocks so I can just jack up one side till I like it then build the shed on top once I get it where I want it.

For the floor, what about some commercial vinyl tile squares?

Home Depot sells it for about $0.80 / sq. ft and it comes in about a hundred colors. Check out the Armstrong stuff.

I really wouldn't worry about, it's not a garage floor. There will be nothing parked in it and no reason for standing water anyway. The slope is only there for the potential of large amounts of standing water. Build it like a mini house. Don't forget the TV!!!

I'm thinking about being able to set hot equipment down on the floor is why I was thinking of staying away from vinyl or linoleum.

You must be a lot neater brewer then I am. I always have water all over the place from cleaning when I brew in my garage. I was thinking more just being able to hose out the floor when I'm done brewing is why I'm looking at solid floor surfaces.

Back