About to brew a 14% Monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
I just ordered the ingredients for BYOs Big Beers issue the St. Carolus Honey Imperial Porter. Im looking to age this beer for a couple years. This is my first beer over 1.090 and I'm excited. I can't wait for the adventure and rewards of this monster. I was thinking of adding some oak or fruit such as raspberry or blackberry. But I'm afraid I'll ruin this beer and it's not a cheap one to ruin either.

If I were you I'd just play it safe for this first one. I got my first 1.100 batch under my belt back in November (RIS), and I'm letting it sit in the secondary for another 2 months before bottling. It's so hard to wait, but I'm sure the bulk aging will only make it better. I know it would be even harder to wait if I was just aging it in bottles.

phenry said:
If I were you I'd just play it safe for this first one. I got my first 1.100 batch under my belt back in November (RIS), and I'm letting it sit in the secondary for another 2 months before bottling. It's so hard to wait, but I'm sure the bulk aging will only make it better. I know it would be even harder to wait if I was just aging it in bottles.

I think I'm just going to stick with the original recipe and if it's really good ill start tweaking it. But yeah agings gonna be hard. Going to age it at least 6months in secondary. Looking to try it for the first time around Christmas. That's going to be real hard.

Back