? about inspecting kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treekiller

A tree is never safe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be going to this store http://www.homebrewing.org/ tomorrow or Friday to purchase 4-6 Corny kegs. Aside from obvious damage, can you tell me what I should be looking for while inspecting these kegs? I have seen that others have purchased from this store with good feedback, so I thought I would drive over and get some before they are gone. One step closer to that kegerator.:ban:

Most of the time a store will pressurize the keg to show it seals. I'd check for cracked boots on the bail and chipped plugs. Ask them if the kegs have new gaskets.

I'd pick up a new set of o-rings for each, and a tube of o-ring lube, if they carry it.

I've had pretty good luck with them. The only issue is that one keg had two out (or was it in) posts on it. It leaked really bad, too (with the o-rings that came on it) so I just cut the diptube and use it for a secondary. :)

I bought three kegs from them last month and everything looked good when they came in... only one had pressure on it when it arrived, but the rest held pressure too... i ordered new o-rings and poppets, but I'm not going to use those till I show a leak...

Also I have been told that you should not use rootbeer occupied cornys because the flavor never goes away. I would only buy ones that are pressurised to prove that they have no leaks or defects.

Back