About How Long Till I See Sprouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All -

I planted last week and wanted to get an approximate time frame for when I can see some sprouts.

I am in Northeast PA and the temps have been at a high of 60ish and lows of 35ish for the last week (when I planted)

I planted in well tilled soil -- which I dug a hole in and place planting soil at the bottom - then the hops - then more planting soil. I watered and miracle growed and they have been water (or rained on) each day.

Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

And I know that it can vary - just looking for a ballpark.

Thanks

over the years i've seen them pop up in 2 weeks and others up to a month or more. i would reckon the difference might have something to do with where the buds were oriented on the rhizome (close to the growing tip, or closer to the crown). just a thought.

This is the first year i planted hops. I choose five the Chinook was the biggest Rhizome and came out on the 3rd day after i planted him. After that the next ones came out about a week and 4 days later. They where Willamette, Centennial, and Columbus an finally 2 weeks and 1 day later the Cascade came up. But you know i think it all depended on the size of the Rhizome. The smallest and weakest looking one was the Cascade and the biggest and strongest looking Rhizome was the Chinook. However the Centennial came out with 4 sprouts. all the others only have one.

The variety also affects when they pop out. You have early, midseason, and late hops. My hallertau have been growing for nearly a month now since it's an early season variety. My EKG and Centennial haven't popped out of the groud yet but their considered midseason varieties.

I planted 3 different Rhyzomes the same day in Identical soil etc...two rhyzomes sprouted in about 2 weeks and the third one sprouted about 5 weeks after planting. Not sure why, just give them time I suppose they will sprout when they are ready. I just made sure they had plenty of water, good soil and at least 6 hours of sunlight everyday.

hey folks, it's pretty much all a crap-shoot. i'm sure that everyone who has tried their hand at growing hops have all had different experiences as to how soon they popped up. some come up in a week or so, and some may not seem to come up at all. sometime you give up on them and next year there's a bunch of shoots coming up. there are a lot of variables. my experience has shown me that usually, within a month or so you should see something coming up. if not, take a shovel out and lift them up. most of the time, if nothing has popped up, it's due to the fact that the root has rotted due to too much water. please understand that these are domesticated weeds and that they are VERY resilient when it comes to self-preservation. one other thought, size doesn't really matter when it comes to certain varieties. many will produce exceptionally thin rhizomes as a rule, and others tend to throw out very fat woody rhizomes (fuggle, hersbrucker, hallertau) from what i've grown. the first canadian redvine rhizomes i planted were a little thicker than the lead in a #2 pencil and ended up growing up to the 3rd story roof of the farmhouse i was living in during the first season. i'm convinced that it all has to do with the climate and mostly the soil they are grown in. so don't be discouraged.

Back