AB Super Bowl Ad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
They do make super light beer VERY consistently... and they do make good commercials, IMO.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Cheers!:mug:

It's kind of the equivalent of McDonalds saying "we make consistently awesome hamburgers the hard way", which they don't on either count (awesome, hard way). They are consistent of course.

I don't really get how this will expand their market message-wise. Unless of course they also talk out the other side of their mouth by quietly purchasing craft breweries. Oh wait.

and when I thought I couldn't respect the like any less, despite how consistent their product is, I now find them at a new low on my respect list. funny how they didn't mention Goose Island in that fancy add.

I'll give them credit for owning their brand there. Yeah, they are making fun of brewers they are buying up, but they do appeal to a lot of people and I have friends that love to tote the "Mass Quantity" of Buds, so let them have it, I'm happy sipping the flavor as opposed to swilling the gold.

Young people going out to drink some Buds together. Roughly 80 cuts in a 60 second commercial. "The Hard Way." Beechwood-aged. Making fun of beer snobs - because let's be honest: Beer Advocate, in addition to being a great resource for detailed info on commercial beers, is one of the most grating, hoity-toity websites on the internet today. The AB-InBev marketing department can't be paid enough for the contributions they've made to creating the world's biggest beer-hemoth.

There's no hypocrisy in making fun of the craft beer crowd in a Budweiser ad. They're not advertising AB-InBev. They're advertising Budweiser beer. Defining their product, even at the expense of making fun of their sister products, isn't hypocrisy, it's just directed advertising.

Car companies do this all the time when the competition starts taking their market share. Do you want to be pretentious and drive those fancy cars that those posers drive, or the car people like us drive?

They spent 4.5 mil dumping on Craft beer.That means there losing market share.They would have never gone down that road otherwise.Funny this came up.In the middle of the commercial I said to my wife "Holy sh*t,there nervous" I take it as a win!

I kinda like it! I'll have to remember to hold my pinky out while I drink my next tasty beverage that was NOT made by AB.

If they really wanted to do it the HARD way... they should consider brewing all of their stuff on nano scale brewery equipment instead. :rolleyes:

The only thing I was offended by was saying they brew beer for beer drinkers. I am pretty sure I drink more beer and appreciate beer more than any bmc drinker. A taster is only followed by a few pints.

Maybe they figured they can't alienate craft beer drinkers any more than they already have merely by being Budweiser?

(I didn't even sit down to watch the game, but was stopped for dinner on the way home from Tahoe and happened to catch just the right part of the game to see this commercial. I think my friends were pretty perplexed at how I reacted to the whole thing. But at least these friends don't enjoy yellow suds either...)

You have to remember the far majority of AB drinkers hate, and I mean despise, snobby people, hipsters, posers, nose-sticker-uppers and what 90% of the craft beer DRINKERS, not necessarily the brewers, stand for.

When it comes to most craft beer, and I wont say drinkers, but posers, I want to smack the !@#$ out of them for not only the malinformed dribble about the beer in their hand, but their life views.

So I totally get their message, even if I'm a brewer. I still enjoy BMC beer pretty often.

WAIT........................

They just bought Blue Point Brewery.A local craft brew 10 min from my house for an estimated 30 million.Good for BPB but mighty hypocridical.Just like Ben and Jerrys sold out to some Chinese CO. SAD SAD SAD for supporting the underdog

You have to remember the far majority of AB drinkers hate, and I mean despise, snobby people, hipsters, posers, nose-sticker-uppers and what 90% of the craft beer DRINKERS, not necessarily the brewers, stand for.

When it comes to most craft beer, and I wont say drinkers, but posers, I want to smack the !@#$ out of them for not only the malinformed dribble about the beer in their hand, but their life views.

So I totally get their message, even if I'm a brewer. I still enjoy BMC beer pretty often.

Yeah. Not us. Them! Smack the !@#$ out of em!

This commercial made me so mad. I was talking all sorts of **** with my friends when this came on, flipped off the TV and everything.

You guys shouldn't be taking this personally...they weren't calling you a beer snob by name or saying the beer you brew and drink is sh*€%

They made the ad because they are losing market share...it's the same crap you see during election time...the only difference here is that Bud has been the President for so long that he can say whatever he wants and nothing will be said back.

Let's be honest, craft breweries aren't going to come together and make a response commercial...majority of craft breweries don't even advertise its word of mouth so let's everyone RDWHAHB and focus on what's important...like how terrible that call was by Pete Caroll to throw the ball on the 2 yard line with one of the best running backs in the game in your backfield

Elysian the company they most recently bought up makes the very beer that poked fun at. "Gourdia on my mind" a pecan peach pumpkin amber ale.

I smell fear. The problem is with all their money they may just buy / litigate away the competition.

it' their sheep I'm concerned about. sure we can see the idiocy in the commercial, but their loyal sheep are the ones gonna be giving us non-BMC drinkers hell. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it a thousand more: I don't like BMC and/or their Light versions. that made me a snob somehow. I don't bend over backwards to kiss their balls and tell them what great brewers they are for their quality control. and now I'm gonna have to spend all floccing day with a bunch of BMC sheep regurgitating that stupid floccing commercial at me and i have no tobacco! someone might get slapped with a hammer.

They feel threatened. That's all I got out of that commercial. I don't care if people drink Bud (or don't) but that they went in that direction indicates to me how threatened they and their core customer base (50 - 60 year old men) feel.

I don't know about all of you, but I don't like to fuss over my beer. It is an alcohol delivery system after all. Food isn't meant to be fussed over either, which is why I take all of my meals through a feeding tube.

I half watched the commercial when it aired and half watched my wife's jaw slowly descend onto the floor.

I see a lot of the posing on the side of the BMC drinkers who want to make sure that everyone knows they are not drinking craft beer. I'm not sure when drinking mass-marketed, corporate profit driven beer became part of some people's culture, but whatever suits them I guess.

What?? I totally believe that their brewing process involves cast iron gate valves and molten metal, you don't? :drunk:

Yup... Brewed the "hard way" alright...

image.jpg

I liked it, we make fun of them and now they are firing back. All in good nature. Even the food menu had liver mousse, fried Brussels sprouts and steak tartar.

"We can't compete so we're going to throw a fit on national television...during the Super Bowl." ~Budweiser

In all honesty, we should pay our respects to the great history Anheuser-Busch and the stance they take on no-frills beer...like these classics

I love that stuff!!

My fiancé bought it while we were on a weekend getaway. I took a sip. In spite of possibly being the most vile thing to ever cross my lips, she got wasted.

I had one hell of a good weekend. :ban:

I thought the add was great:

It told non-craft beer drinkers exactly what they wanted to hear and it was memorable.

What I find ironic about the AB and MillerCoors commercials is that they ALWAYS show 20ish, college-looking people drinking their beer in a bar. However, if you go into any local bar or pub, the person drinking an AB or MillerCoors beer is an older, blue collar looking guy. The only time I've recently seen younger persons (like in the commercials) drinking their beer is when its being promoted by the bar or pub. Of course, there is also the younger ladies who drink their beer due to the lower calories and really not for the flavor.

Obviously it is funny that they're bashing craft breweries while buying them; however, the outrage I'm seeing over this on various sites is funny. Who cares? The only thing I think AB needs to realize is the very beer numerous people fuss about actually comes from then...BCBS. It was a silly commerical that got people talking. From a marketing perspective, it works.

What I find ironic about the AB and MillerCoors commercials is that they ALWAYS show 20ish, college-looking people drinking their beer in a bar. However, if you go into any local bar or pub, the person drinking an AB or MillerCoors beer is an older, blue collar looking guy. The only time I've recently seen younger persons (like in the commercials) drinking their beer is when its being promoted by the bar or pub. Of course, there is also the younger ladies who drink their beer due to the lower calories and really not for the flavor.

I'm from small-town east Texas. The only blue-collar folks who drink Bud Light are the type who go in for this kind of advertising. Most folks who don't care about appearances drink Natural Light because it's the same thing but half the price.

I came here this morning expecting to see a thread on this very topic. I found the ad nauseating but ultimately it shows they're afraid of the craft beer scene and they just spent an a$$ load of money to insult one demographic.

Bud can suck it.

Back