AB InBev Buys Wicked Weed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
break yer neck for several years, grinding to make a dream happen, barely get by for a decent period of time and/or compound serious debt in an effort to make it work.. deal with the retail side with the power of the internet tweeting at you that you suck, yelpers threatening your life because they had to wait 10 minutes for a beer at peak hours....

some guy writes a check for a couple hundred million...................................................... better pass on that. you owe it to beer geeks to make beer they're going to hate in 6 months anyways.
Respect beer

In all honesty, it should never take anyone 10 minutes to get a beer. The fact that people still frequent establishments where this happens is beyond me. Then again, I was never a club kind of guy so I'll probably never get it.

In all honesty, it should never take anyone 10 minutes to get a beer. The fact that people still frequent establishments where this happens is beyond me. Then again, I was never a club kind of guy so I'll probably never get it.

Hmm. Took me ten minutes to get a Bud light at a Nickleback concert once. Then some punk kid bumps my plastic cup and spills half, and he didn't even apologize. How rude. I guess I made your point./

If Ballast went for $1B...

Not so sure that BP and WW are directly comparable except that both were assimilated by Borg entities.

I can't find anything to verify 800m either. AB is publicly traded so we will find out the purchase price as they will have to disclose it to the SEC on their next 10-Q filing.

If Ballast went for $1B...
Does Wicked Weed actually "fully" distribute in a bunch of states?

We only get their 500ml sour beers. Occasionally I'll see sours on tap too... Never see theirs IPAs or other beers here.

Whereas we get the full line of BP (you can buy Sculpin as most gas stations), casks, kegs, etc...

Do these guys even do six packs, come to think of it?

Are they close? Ballast Point was in over 30 states with over 300,000 barrels a year.

Wicked Weed sold around 22,000 barrels last year. Even though they are on pace to double production this year...
Is the difference that a lot of those 22,000 barrels are being sold for $15+ in 500ml bottles though?

Hmm. Took me ten minutes to get a Bud light at a Nickleback concert once. Then some punk kid bumps my plastic cup and spills half, and he didn't even apologize. How rude. I guess I made your point./

I know right, usually nickelback fans are very classy and have great taste. I'm sure your experience was an outlier.

Pretty sure it didn't. They (original owners of Ballast Point) have re-branded the spirits company to Cutwater.
That makes so much more sense.... I saw BP Devil's Share and Cutwater Devil's Share on the shelf next to each other at Total Wine last month here in Austin and I had a catsup/ketchup moment....

Ballast_Point_Devil_s_Share_Single_Malt_Whiskey_750ML_BTL_Liquorscan_2d89cc57-542d-4f8e-89e1-35ead3722ac0.jpeg

Cutwater_Devils-Share_Single-Malt_CMYK_HR-copy.png

Is the difference that a lot of those 22,000 barrels are being sold for $15+ in 500ml bottles though?

For some reason I thought you were in a field that required math skills? :D

The astronomical difference in production numbers would easily outweigh any slight profit margins between the two, not to mention, as stated above, that Ballast Point has some of the higher priced 6ers in the land.

I bet they sell way more 22 ounce bottles with similar margins than WW does their 500mL's too.

I can't imagine that WW sold for 80% of Ballast Point, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Back