Aah crap ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atonk

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of amber for a party next week (one of Jamil's recipes) and went a little overboard on the chocolate malt. since it's more noticeable than i intended, i'm thinking about adding some spice and/or flavoring to make it more of a holiday beer. i've never added spices in secondary before - any suggestions or tips?

thanks!

:rolleyes:

Yes, 5 gallons. I'll probably pull a few samples this weekend and do some testing.
thanks!

You could take some whole spices and put them in a jar with some vodka and let them sit for a as long as possible. Then you could add drops of it at a time so you don't over spice.

I am doing that now with an Egg Nog Milk Stout. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla all in the jar together.

is it so overboard it couldnt just pass as a brown instead of messing with it?

mack65 and dcp27 - these are the same responses i just got from the two guys at my lhbs - almost to the letter.

i'm really on the fence - there's a part of me that now wants to pass it off as a brown, and the other part that wants to spice it. just have to make up my mind and run with an option. thanks!

A question: Does it taste GOOD as it is now?

If so, why mess with it? You're the only one who's gonna know what style it was "supposed" to be. The folks drinking it will only care if it tastes good or not.

How long has it conditioned for, is it just green? The flavors might mellow together within another week when the party is.

MrAverage - it tastes fine, but "clumsy" if that makes sense. I'm sure you're right - if they have no idea what it's supposed to be it won't matter; it's free beer.

H-ost - that could very well be; with the party coming up quickly, I could just be panicking. I will not have to keg until Tuesday of next week, so it could mellow a little more.

I love this forum. Thanks everyone

My 2 cents, don't mess with it. If it tastes fine now it will taste better in a week. Start throwing spices in there and you'll F@#$ it up.

When you're tasting beer that you've brewed always taste what's in the glass and not what should have been in the glass. I've had a lot of happy accidents.

okay i'm convinced - after all, we are our own harshest critics, aren't we? i will leave it alone and bring it to the party as is, not even announcing it as a specific style and just let everyone have at it. should be pretty interesting.

Back