A38 JUICE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmahly

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with using A38 Imperial Ale Juice yeast. I plan to make a NEIPA with it but I can't find any information on the profile the yeast gives at the lower end of fermentation temperature or towards the high end.

No experience yet - I've got some ready to go in an old ale, but it is purportedly the same as/similar enough to Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. There's likely a lot more information on that strain if you want to research that.

I split a handful of neipa batches between 1318 and a38 and nobody was ever able to tell the two apart.
I'm convinced they are virtually identical strains, so I stopped ranching a38 and stuck with 1318...

Cheers!

I've been fermenting my first hazy IPA with this yeast. Pitched it at 66 and it's stayed at that temp for the last 2.5 days. Last night, I thought the iced water was sufficient to keep it cool. However, it wasn't. It ended up rising to 74 degrees over the span of 4 hours. I know I should just let it ferment, but should I expect any impact to the beer?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 8.53.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 8.53.58 AM.png
    328.5 KB · Views: 0
Generally the later a "warm event" happens the lower the impact. Fortunately 74°F is still within the recommended range so I'm inclined to expect no bad effects. Carry on 👍

Cheers!

That’s my thought, as well. It was at 1.030 per the Tilt, and it crept up to 74 over the span of 5 hours. Not ideal, but I’m not losing sleep on it. This is my first hazy IPA, so I’m definitely sensitive to the financial investment of this beer. I really don’t want to waste my money! 😝

Depends, I have been doing 2 of them 1 day apart. Usually the first one goes in 3 days before cold crash and kegging. I have done them all at once and I feel I get better utilization if I split them into 2.

I recall a few posts (with pictures) showing A18 and A38 being Other Half House yeast strains

Back