A38 Juice Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coontail

Reaction score
A38 is stuck in NEIPA

OG of 1.072

Stuck at 1.030 for 3 days

Trying to get 1.014

Grain Bill:
10# Pale Malt
1# Flaked Oats
1# Flaked Wheat
1# Dextrose

Very little airlock activity, yeast cake on the bottom and no yeast in suspension. ~1.5" lingering krausen

Not sure what to do, I have to have it kegged by Sunday. I only used one packet (forgot to make a starter ¯\_༼ •́ ͜ʖ •̀ ༽_/¯) though I've never had a problem underpitching in the past

What should I do?

An inch and a half krausen suggests it's still doing it's thing.
Obligatory "stuck in the 30s" question: did you check the SG with a hydrometer, or a refractometer?
And what temperature have you been running this fermentation?

A fresh pack would be close for a 72 point batch - by the book a bit light, but still, I think it'd work out in the fullness of time...

Cheers!

Purportedly (and I think I just read an article linked from an HBT post to the point) ale yeast that drift to the depths are all done and heading to survival mode or expiration.

Ok, so hydro check is goodness. What temperature are you at?
You can run that strain up to 72°F - especially after a week - without untoward effects, and maybe eek out some movement.
There might still be a time crunch but warmer is invariably better, and if you can do it without introducing a lot of oxygen you might also try rousing the cake...

Cheers!

Temp is 71, I'll have to try carefully rousing. Maybe I could try US-05 though I'm a bit scared it'll dry it out too much

~1.5" lingering krausen
Krausen or a cake of floating dry hops?
Also, as krausen falls, it leaves a ring/band along the fermenter's side, don't confuse that with actual krausen still being present.

Definitely warm it up to eek a few more points out before kegging.
Have you tasted the beer? Maybe it's really good the way it is?

That yeast, was that shipped during hot weather?
Not that it helps your case now, but always make a starter with liquid yeast to a) prove viability and b) ramping up cell count.

Maybe I could try US-05 though I'm a bit scared it'll dry it out too much
I doubt that becoming an issue with a stalled beer. You don't have much choice: Either drink it sweet-ish or try to restart.

If deciding to restart, you should make a quart (vitality) starter with the dry yeast for 4-12 hours at warmish temps (~75F) and when at full krausen, pitch that into your stalled batch. That has much more prospect than just adding it dry to a more or less hostile environment of 5.5% alcohol beer.

Last edited:
Yep krausen for sure and it is definitely way too sweet. I got the yeast from my LHBS so vitality shouldn't of been a problem

Good chance I'll pitch US-05 and see what happens, thanks for the help guys

You’re alive? I thought you fell off the flag side of the earth!?!? Where you been?

Taking a little break from NEIPAs. Did you see my post in the thread? I made my first-ever Tripel and totally nailed it. So easy... Makes me realize how hard it is to make a truly great NEIPA. Is there a harder beer to make perfectly?!

Hope you are doing OK and I'm sure you are brewing up some tasty beers!

Taking a little break from NEIPAs. Did you see my post in the thread? I made my first-ever Tripel and totally nailed it. So easy... Makes me realize how hard it is to make a truly great NEIPA. Is there a harder beer to make perfectly?!

Hope you are doing OK and I'm sure you are brewing up some tasty beers!
They definitely makes you a better brewer for sure. I think making light lagers and a light dark lager can be difficult to make perfect. The perfect balance and nailing the subtle nuances takes precision and restraint. Also slight flaws always are easy to point out.

I am working on a wild project currently with some mixed Fermentations using saison yeast, lacto, and Brett. Also doing a 100%Brett fermented hoppy pale ale. Not exactly taking a break from NEIPAS but broadening my repertoire

Last edited:
Pitched the yeast tonight, let's see what happens

For plan B I did a little research and using amyloglucosidase will convert some of the unfermentable sugars into fermentable sugars

Back