A Wort Study

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Die_Beerery

Reaction score
Ever wonder how long it actually takes for yeast to pick up all the oxygen from oxygenation? How long it takes pH to drop from the yeast? How much Dissolved oxygen that hop addition added? How about in relation to gravity? How about in real time with every second updates? New “wort study” getting ready to go down. I’ve had enough “citizen science” it’s tine for the real thing to step and and set the record straight. Results will be published soon!

The bio reactor (aka murdered brew bucket)
d96551b7457885325e5e8aa472a8c777.jpg
40f722d8ee0861f353a3f02bd7a59e96.jpg

Specific bio reactor transmitters.
82468a878d118f90ce3d9f291a8cad44.jpg

Results to be graphed just like the YOS study.
de240df145cecff0bbaf529374665602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a really cool concept. Out of curiosity, and I am feeling a little too lazy to do the searches at the moment, is there any kind of data like this available in the brewing literature?

Edit: I mean, is this truly novel? I would actually like to know....

No there is not any, or at least none remotely this specific for sure. That’s part of the reason I am doing this. The other part is I am truly fed up of internet brewmasters. [emoji12]

Ever thought of submitting this kind of thing for proper peer review? It could be facilitated...

I’m impartial. I’m not a “trained” scientist though. Just some dude in my basement, who likes real data.

Yeah, well, I have kept track and you are a guy who basically has a "lab" with potentially unique capabilities in his basement that may have something to contribute to brewing science. I am a "trained" scientist (with academic credentials) so maybe consider if you want to go beyond a "dude" in his "basement"?. Might be fun...

Yeah, well, I have kept track and you are a guy who basically has a "lab" with potentially unique capabilities in his basement that may have something to contribute to brewing science. I am a "trained" scientist (with academic credentials) so maybe consider if you want to go beyond a "dude" in his "basement"?. Might be fun...

Does fun include $$$?

Does fun include $$$?

Ha, yeah, I wish! But there may be local brewery interest, in which case I may be able to secure "in kind" donations (or other possibilities). Assuming that a good hypothesis/question could be addressed, publication charges would be covered. Probably best to communicate outside of the forum if you are really interested.

In the medical field, journals do pay for article submissions. Not sure about brewing science journals, but I would think so.

Of course you give up all rights to publishing and sharing it yourself, which I think is the opposite of the intention here.

Also, the forum is a peer review of sorts. Many of us are science-minded (and science trained) homebrewers who can spot flaws in methodology and data analysis.
If you try to do science badly we will definitely give you an earful about it, for everyone to see.

Last edited:
In the medical field, journals do pay for article submissions. Not sure about brewing science journals, but I would think so.

Of course you give up all rights to publishing and sharing it yourself, which I think is the opposite of the intention here.

Well, that is entirely true! It is funny how that works. Share yourself and lack credibility, or publish in a paid journal and have it "matter" to those who may have a different standard. This has never sit well with me, but it is presently how the world works. Honestly, I am not one one to judge, and have gone on record in this forum as saying that citizen science may have some value. However, I will also say that more exacting science may have more appeal to other reader groups (in some cases me)....Oh, and other than a select company of society journals, I never encountered a scenario where publication charges were covered by the journal...my publication charges are in excess of 15K USD per year...which also doesn't sit will with me.

Also, the forum is a peer review of sorts. Many of us are science-minded (and science trained) homebrewers who can spot flaws in methodology and data analysis.
If you try to do science badly we will definitely give you an earful about it, for everyone to see.

Yes, this came up while I was replying, which is also very true! This forum tends to be a quick and immediate form of peer review that happens to me my goto information source. Unfortunately, it is not very long lasting and, for many people, has the appearance of only having the credibility of "mass opinion." We have seen issues with that. There are some people on this forum who actually have the ability to perform very detailed experiments that may have the capacity to contribute to long lasting and true brewing "lore" that may never get a real voice. Just trying to help, maybe (?), provide that voice to a different audience...

Ever wonder how long it actually takes for yeast to pick up all the oxygen from oxygenation? How long it takes pH to drop from the yeast? How much Dissolved oxygen that hop addition added? How about in relation to gravity? How about in real time with every second updates?
I'm too lazy and cheap to get an oxygen tank and stone, I just dump the wort from the kettle to the carboy through a funnel, it gets aerated and it seems to work just fine.
Do you think you might have time to include that method in your study?
I doubt I'll get an oxygen tank no matter what the data says, but I'm still interested to see what the measurements are.

Instead of stainless, I'll start calling that brew bucket "Blue Steel" because of all the modeling it's gonna support...
No but seriously I'm eager to see the results. Thanks for doing this!

Latest posts

Back