A way to check for fusel alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvestre

Reaction score
I have a batch of a double IPA that I did not pay enough attention to, and in the first 4 days the temp rocketed into the 80s F. I took a gravity reading yesterday, and had a taste. I used Safale US-05 and my SG is down to 1.018 from 1.084, for an 8.8% ABV, in about 4 days time.

There is a slight alcohol burn to it, but not anymore than I would expect from a nearly 9% beer. Is there a way to test whether there is a significant amount of fusel alcohol? There is a sort of apricot finish to the flavor, if that is any help. Both my wife and I actually like the flavor, I just don't want to make friends and family sick by serving a beer chock full of fusel.

Thanks and cheers!!

Generally, the only way that I am aware of is a taste and smell test. Since it's appealing to you, I would say just don't worry about it. Most likely, you were spared by the brew gods.

Cheers

PS
Fusel alcohol won't make them sick, but would contribute to a slightly worse hangover. It's more a flavor/aroma issue than anything.

Back