A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone posted a real strategy on the secondary additions yet? I'm considering adding them all to 8 oz of bourbon and letting it sit for a week then adding it to the keg and letting time do its thing.

Brewed this today and couldn't be more excited to try this!

15475995944_eb9638f453_b.jpg

I brewed this up about 3 weeks ago:

14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 49.1 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.5 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 10.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.8 %
2.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 9 85.2 IBUs
1.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [4.5L starter]

Measured Original Gravity: 1.123 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.035 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.8 %
Bitterness: 85.2 IBUs
Est Color: 81.9 SRM
60 Sec of pure O2
Mashed at 155

The last i checked it was down to about 1.040.

Brewed this mid November using Skeezer's recipe. Fermented with a 2L starter's worth of 1968. I've been letting it sit at ambient room temp (70ish) since about two weeks after pitching the yeast at 64.

Managed an OG of 1.132, pulled a hydro sample this past weekend and got a nice 1.034 as I was targeting, but then I tasted the sample and it was horrendous. Super heavy licorice, bordering on rubbery, kind of ashy, hints of chocolate, roast, and dark fruit, but the burnt licorice definitely dominated. I'm going to let it sit for 3-4 more months before bottling, but I worry that the large amount of black patent might have ruined this one.

Brewed this mid November using Skeezer's recipe. Fermented with a 2L starter's worth of 1968. I've been letting it sit at ambient room temp (70ish) since about two weeks after pitching the yeast at 64.

Managed an OG of 1.132, pulled a hydro sample this past weekend and got a nice 1.034 as I was targeting, but then I tasted the sample and it was horrendous. Super heavy licorice, bordering on rubbery, kind of ashy, hints of chocolate, roast, and dark fruit, but the burnt licorice definitely dominated. I'm going to let it sit for 3-4 more months before bottling, but I worry that the large amount of black patent might have ruined this one.

Those flavors will fade out with some age. I'm going to bottle mine in the next couple weeks, it's been almost a year since I brewed it. It has smoothed out very nicely

Strange I brewed a very similar recipe and it was a harmonic blend! Mine ended much higher though, 1.044. I think the high fg really helps the character of this beer.

70ls1nova was kind enough to share one of his Huna clones with me. I'm excited to be able to side by side it with a bottle I've been saving for a while.

Excuse the wild pour but I wanted to quickly get a picture that compares the color of the head. It was pretty close with Huna being slightly darker, while the HB version was much longer lasting.

The aroma of Huna is intense with all the inherent spices while the HB's aroma mostly captured the malt profile (quite well I would add).

Body of Huna is thicker and more syrupy. HB is def thinner with the finishing gravity at 1.028.

Taste - Huna's spices are much more pronounced. For my taste, I'm glad it's not fresh as they bordering too intense for me. Huna is also sweeter than the HB version. I will say, the malt does seem very close - with a higher OG and TG I think these would be very close malt wise. The big difference here is the spicing. HB's cinnamon is close, peppers seem non existent compared to Huna (again, that's a plus for me). HB is also very similar with the cocoa and vanilla - very pleasant and skillfully added by 70ls1nova.

Overall - a bigger body, more residual sugars and more peppers this clone would be extremely close to the real thing

I'm happy to answer any questions and I hope this is a helpful contribution. Hopefully Nova will be able to chime in as well and help explain his process and assist with moving this clone forward.

Thanks again, Nova. You brewed an excellent beer that I really enjoyed drinking.

21ex6k0.jpg

so which recipe is the go to in this thread? Including secondary amounts? Thanks.

so which recipe is the go to in this thread? Including secondary amounts? Thanks.

There is no correct recipe. I think that consensus is that Wizardhat's clone around post 60 is very close flavorwise, but doesn't hit the OG for Hunahpu which leads to a thinner body than intended. Maybe tweak that one to match an OG of 1.131.

Regarding secondary additions, there is no correct answer. The amount you need will vary based on the freshness of ingredients, what kind of ingredients you are using, your recipe (if it's excessively malty, you'll need more adjunct flavor to cut through), etc. Make a tincture for each ingredient (but maybe combine the peppers, three pepper tinctures seems excessive) and add a little at a time when you go to bottle until you've found your ideal flavor combination.

yup hah - he's onto us!

So - here's so far what I've come up with so far...
5.25 gallon batch (70% eff)
OG: 1.137 (31 P)
FG: 1.053 (13 P)
ABV: 11%

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%
5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%
2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%
2# Chocolate - 7%
2# Roasted Barley - 7%
14 oz Black Patent - 3%
14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%
14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%
28.25# total

Boil for 90-120 minutes
3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU

Added in Secondary to make it Hunahpu'ish:
1 stick of Ceylon Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean
4 oz Peruvian Cacao Nibs
1 oz Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped)

The Hopville guy said his pepper presence was too pronounced with 2.5 oz total, so I scaled it back a little bit.

Not sure when I'm going to have the time to brew this up, but it is definitely on the queue

How much water did you end up using for your 5.25 gallon target? I'm thinking the large grain bill would soak up a lot more water than most normal batches.

I was disappointed in my batch brewed 8/13 on with regards to chile flavor. I used dried and seeded and chopped in the original noted quantities. It had the burn but none of the chile flavor I was looking for. The real hunahpu has some burn but definitely the flavor of the chiles comes thru. I've been to several brewery festivals where chile flavored IPA's have been featured. After speaking to the brewer about those not with just burn but with the flavor of the chile, the common theme was using fresh chiles. They would seed and stem them and then roast the fresh chile and add this roasted chile to the secondary. The flavors were amazing. I currently have a 10 gallon batch in my conical OG 1.133 FG1.042 and will add fresh roasted chiles along with other additions.

Man, I'd love to make a 10 gallon batch of this and split it into 2 5 gallon carboys to experiment with the adjunct additions, but I don't think I'd be able to fit everything into my 70 quart mash tun.

There may be something missing from the recipe just based on one of the myths of Hunahpu. I heard the creation myth of Hunahpu from my father decades ago when he was on a project in Guatemala working with the kaqchikel language. All I can say is that is was heavily weighted with the sacredness of corn and that man, (originally created from stones by Xbalanque, one of the two twins), was perfected by re-creating man out of corn. We substituted the oats for flaked corn in the grist. The anchos and corn in this ale variation make a perfect combination for a Mayan tribute ale.

To increase the pepper flavor and mild aroma we used a hop-rocket to extract the most from the anchos. We ran this recipe with the hop rocket attached just above the chill-plate. It seems to have done the trick. A lot of fresh ancho flavor.

Has anyone pulled together a recipe that's worked for them? I'm putting a recipe together, but still looking for other ideas.

I'm brewing Skibb's version from Post #30 tomorrow. I scaled it down to 50% efficiency, something I'm much more likely to experience with these big beers on my system. I'll let it bulk age in secondary ~6mo before spicing it.

So I have been lurking this tread for quite a long time. My brewing buddy and I went to Hunahpu Day 2014 and had an amazing time (regardless of what people said). We got our hands on not only Hunah and DB Hunah but also Zhu, which we learned down there was the base for Hunah (Was later confirmed in this thread). We were already pretty experienced home brewers and I was obsessed on the drive back up with cloning this beer. I started working up a large write-up in google drive on basically a summary of this thread and everyone's recipes/results. I spent a lot of time breaking down all of the recipes I found and tried to figure out the ones that made the most sense in regards to what Wambles let loose as far as information regarding the base recipe. All of your work is amazing and we ended up with quite a result.

FSi7GJO.jpg

XYbOiKK.jpg

ClYHg3u.jpg

MKKnWmV.jpg

XFUo7w6.jpg

T4kemoO.jpg

We brewed 5 gallons of the recipe we chose on 1/25/2015. It was an immensely fun beer to brew. 28 total pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch made things very interesting. Luckily we took advantage of that Black Friday Target sale they had last year and grabbed a Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler. We decided to stick with the no-sparge method as all of the data that came back from people sparging were yielding unfavorable results more times than not. Here is the recipe we went with:

Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.115 SG
Estimated Color: 242.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 87.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 62.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) Grain 1 49.1 %
5 lbs Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.5 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (Briess) (3.3 EBC) Grain 3 10.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate (Crisp) (1241.1 EBC) Grain 4 7.0 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (Crisp) (1369.2 EBC) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs Black (Crisp) (1339.6 EBC) Grain 6 3.5 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (118.2 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 8 1.8 %
3.00 oz Magnum [11.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 87.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.20 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 11 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 28 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.54 (actually 12.5) gal of water at 165.2 F 155.0 F 60 min

Distilled Water (additions):

CaSO4 - 3.8g
NaHCO3 - 2.5g
CaCL2 - 6.3g
Ca(OH)2 - 2.5g

The fermentation ended up looking like this (brewpi/big mouth/thermowell):

SjM0hKE.jpg

So we ended up bottling this and were, at first, not impressed with the beer. It was roasty to the point of acrid so decided to let it rest. Well fast forward 5 months later and we found out that there was a BJCP sanctioned contest in Ocean Springs. We decided to submit this beer since they weren't allowing any adjunct stouts (We have another smaller sparged imperial stout that we love to add adjuncts to) and our IPA's at the time. We ended up winning best of show out of 84 or so entries and medals for our IPA's. Upon sampling the beer after that 5 months we found that it is VERY close to Zhukov. I guess it just took time for the IBU's to calm down and settle into the overall flavor profile. Now time to do the same thing again but with peppers/nibs/vanilla

Y1RJ5hv.jpg

uGuurhU.jpg

Here is a picture of the real deal next to ours:

JPnLvGB.jpg

Shameless plug -> https://www.facebook.com/crunkworxbrewing - Like us :D

That's awesome! I actually just had my first Huna last night. It was a '14 that I traded for and we just sold our house, so seemed like a fitting occasion to crack it open.

This is awesome!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I'm planning on brewing this recipe next month so it can be ready by spring.

One question I have, with no sparging did you even bother with a mash out? I'm setting it up in Beersmith, and there's so much water that mash out would put me over my preboil volume unless I went with like 2.5 hour boil.

We brewed 5 gallons of the recipe we chose on 1/25/2015. It was an immensely fun beer to brew. 28 total pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch made things very interesting. Luckily we took advantage of that Black Friday Target sale they had last year and grabbed a Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler. We decided to stick with the no-sparge method as all of the data that came back from people sparging were yielding unfavorable results more times than not. Here is the recipe we went with:

Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.115 SG
Estimated Color: 242.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 87.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 62.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) Grain 1 49.1 %
5 lbs Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.5 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (Briess) (3.3 EBC) Grain 3 10.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate (Crisp) (1241.1 EBC) Grain 4 7.0 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (Crisp) (1369.2 EBC) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs Black (Crisp) (1339.6 EBC) Grain 6 3.5 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (118.2 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 8 1.8 %
3.00 oz Magnum [11.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 87.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.20 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 11 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 28 lbs 8.0 oz
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.54 (actually 12.5) gal of water at 165.2 F 155.0 F 60 min

Distilled Water (additions):

CaSO4 - 3.8g
NaHCO3 - 2.5g
CaCL2 - 6.3g
Ca(OH)2 - 2.5g

This is awesome!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I'm planning on brewing this recipe next month so it can be ready by spring.

One question I have, with no sparging did you even bother with a mash out? I'm setting it up in Beersmith, and there's so much water that mash out would put me over my preboil volume unless I went with like 2.5 hour boil.

Made Skeezers recipe 2 weeks ago. 1.140 OG. Currently at 1.052. Target FG is 1.048. Put it in secondary for a week before I add spices. I want to bottle when I'm done, and I'm wondering if I need to reyeast or if the yeast is healthy enough to carb. Did a 2ltr wyeast 1968 starter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Lovin this stout so far

Made Skeezers recipe 2 weeks ago. 1.140 OG. Currently at 1.052. Target FG is 1.048. Put it in secondary for a week before I add spices. I want to bottle when I'm done, and I'm wondering if I need to reyeast or if the yeast is healthy enough to carb. Did a 2ltr wyeast 1968 starter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Lovin this stout so far

I pitched CBC-1 at bottling, but I bulk aged for ~5 months prior to bottling. You would most likely have enough viable yeast left to carb it up, but it would probably take a while.

I did the same as Allen with the CBC-1. My feeling is, if you're not 100% certain it'll carb up on its own, add the extra yeast. It can't hurt, but you wouldn't want to waste all the money and hard work that goes into this beer by ending up with a flat batch.

Thanks AllenH and wobrien. I was on the fence about reyeasting. Never made a beer this big before. I was afraid more yeast would dry it out. Thanks again!

Thanks AllenH and wobrien. I was on the fence about reyeasting. Never made a beer this big before. I was afraid more yeast would dry it out. Thanks again!

CBC-1 was brought to market just for these type situations. It worked perfectly for me, I had wobrien's version and it had good carbonation as well. A previous stout I made took 4 months to carb up, so I sought this stuff out for this beer. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446927542.255768.jpg
Others have been successful without it, I just wanted a little insurance.

I'm brewing Skibb's version from Post #30 tomorrow. I scaled it down to 50% efficiency, something I'm much more likely to experience with these big beers on my system. I'll let it bulk age in secondary ~6mo before spicing it.

I kegged this last night and it's tasting great already (3.5-mo old). OG 1.111, FG 1.035. Fermented at 66° for (4) days and then let free rise in 70° ambient. I am moving up my timeline. I'm going to begin spicing it now and try to do a little at a time to dial it in, and drink it this winter. Great base impy stout.

I am looking to brew Movezig's recipe from Post #578 but i only have a 10 gallon mash tun. Can I reduce the Marris Otter and add DME later or will that affect the flavor?

I am looking to brew Movezig's recipe from Post #578 but i only have a 10 gallon mash tun. Can I reduce the Marris Otter and add DME later or will that affect the flavor?

What size is your HLT? You can do BIAB as well, and split it in 2, worked great for me

I don't feel the need to mash out really, not to mention you're going to need all the grav points you can get haha. One thing I would take into consideration that I don't believe I said in my original post is you will want to go ahead and gamble on a 2.5 to 2.75 hour boil. The reason this is important is because of your hop additions. You will want to add your hops 2 or so hours into the boil. If you add them per the recipe specs, you'll be boiling you hop addition for over 2 hours.

Brewed the recipe with 10% chocolate & 10% roasted barley yesterday.

Subbed Vienna for Munich and had to add 2 lb of DME to boost gravity. Also used pale chocolate.

Now we wait.

Does anyone still have that barrel pic that indicated the ratio of spices that were added?

Trying to determine the ratios for a 5 gal batch.

Ok.. That's what I'll do if I decide to add anything to the base.

I brewed it 3 weeks ago & it went from 1.128 to 1.042, on the lower end of Wamble's stated range.

It's in a fast ferment conical so I am just draining the yeast off of the bottom.

Any thoughts of how long to let this sit in secondary prior to force carbing & bottling?

I have very little experience aging beers so wondering if bulk aging is preferred to bottle aging? I can leave it in the fast ferment for as long as needed.

Any advice?

Bulk age if you have the space/equipment to do so. I usually keg and don't touch it.

Bulk age if you have the space/equipment to do so. I usually keg and don't touch it.

I typically only do 3 gallon batches so hardly ever use the fast ferment. I'll just let it stay where it is.

It has been in primary for 3 weeks. Any need to leave it on yeast for much longer. Gravity hasn't moved in over a week.

Back