A Tale of Two British Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueflint

Reaction score
A Tale of two British Yeasts...

For the past two years, I have been experimenting with several British ale styles along with experimenting with several yeasts. One of my favorite recipes is a Dark Mild. I have made many, many batches of this, slightly tweaking the recipe and trying several yeasts. My three gallon recipe that I finally settled on is:

Maris Otter 2 lbs. 12 ounces
Breiss Chocolate 4 ounces
Breiss Carabrown 4 ounces
Victory 4 ounces
Breiss Carmel 80L 2 ounces

Kent Goldings (4.5% AAU) ½ ounce at 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (4.5% AAU) ¼ ounce at 10 minutes

Mash temperature 158 F, attempting to increase body

Measured SG 1.034, FG 1.010 (some batches had a FG of 1.008)

This makes an easy drinking dark ale with lots of flavor but with low enough alcohol you can still walk to the kitchen after having several of them.

I have tried several yeasts but the best flavored batches were made with Wyeast 1968 and Wyeast 1469. Both of these finished quickly and drop clear quickly. I ferment on the cool side, in the 60‘s. At 10 days, I rack, prime and bottle. I use 1.8 ounces by weight of corn sugar for priming. Once bottled, these are kept at room temperature until a day or two before drinking.

Here are the interesting notes. At bottling time, 1968 has a better flavor and 1469 has suppressed the chocolate flavors to the point this ale has little flavor. At 1 month, flavors are still about the same, carbonation is very light, almost flat still. At 2 months old, carbonation is building and flavors are evolving, 1968 is still the better tasting ale. At 3 months old, 1968 has evolved to it’s best, carbonation is perfect. At 3 months, the 1469 batch has improved in flavor quite a bit, rivaling the 1968 batch, carbonation is good. Both yeasts leave a cake in the bottom of the bottle with 1469 being more compact. Now is when things start to change. At 4 months old, I noticed the batch made with 1968 seems over carbonated while the 1469 batch is fine on carbonation. At 5 months old, the entire batch of 1968 is way over carbonated, when cracking a cold bottle open, a nice little fountain will empty most of the bottle. At this point, the 1968 batch has changed in flavor, thinner and almost acidic or sharp. At 5 months, the 1469 is slightly over carbonated but no fountains, just too much head when poured. I know many of you are thinking “contaminated batch” and some of you are saying “yes, I had that”. There was no contamination, I have replicated these batches several times with the same results. In my favorite Robust Porter recipe, 1968 does the same thing, once it hits 5 or 6 months old, pow, over carbed. So where is the problem coming from? From my testing, recipes and results, my conclusion is any recipe with caramel and chocolate malts should not be made with 1968 yeast and with caution when using 1469. Testing the gravity of 6 month old bottles, the 1968 has chewed it’s way down to 1.002 in the bottle!!! I am amazed how much pressure these bottles have held as at room temperatures, they are explosive when opened. We are always told that caramel malts have a certain amount of non fermentable sugars but from my results, some of these will ferment in time if left at room temperature with 1968 yeast and to a slightly lesser extent with 1469. In the above dark Mild recipe, there is 9% caramel and brown malt and 6% chocolate malt. One more thing, of all the beer I make, I only have this problem when using British yeasts, never with US05, W34/70, etc.

So, let the discussion begin. What are the results others have come up with? What are your conclusions?

Thanks, Tony

Sorry, it almost certainly really is infections building up. None of my wlp002/1968 bottle condition beers get more carbonation after 3 weeks. I have 9 month old dark porter, stored at 70F, mashed at 156f and fermented with wlp002 that is at the same level of carb as at 3 weeks.

Carbonation changing over months in a low ABV beer is an infection. WLP002 will fully carb a low ABV beer in a couple weeks at most. WLP002 will also not take a dark beer down to 1.002 on its own.

The first time I had this with 1968, I suspected an infection, no sour flavor, no tang flavor, but it is thinner and more acidic. I discussed this with several local brewers and I started from scratch. I even started with new fermenters, new bottles, etc. Everything is meticulously sanitized from beginning to end. I have never had this problem with any other yeast and in the winter (off time for me) I make a couple batches of beer every week, mostly smaller 3 gallon all grain recipes. Again, I have never had this problem with any other yeast. This past week, I finished the last bottles from several batches of non-British yeast recipes that were made last winter. All of these were fine. All were made at the same time as my British Ales, same equipment. Every British Ale that was made last winter has this problem to some degree, both with 1968 and to a lesser degree with 1469. Some worked down to 1.002 while other to 1.006, all with a bottling FG of 1.008 to 1.010.

I have read many, many times here on homebrewtalk of others using 1968 and having this same problem. I have also read many people suggesting this yeast is not suitable for bottling due to this same issue. Some suggest this yeast had stalled out before finishing and then restarted in the bottle. I am not sure but my results are from replicated trials. I also use 1968 on a basic British Bitter recipe, no caramel malts are used in this and I have never had a problem with bottling this one.

There is more to this one...

Tony

I've had similar experiences with 1968. They always tasted good initially but became over carbonated and thin as time went on.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't imagine 1968 taking a beer down to 1.002 and it not being an infection. Although I keg, so I'm not much help.

Secondary fermentation happens especially in wort reinvigorated by simple sugars and in high flocculating English strains that like to turn off and drop out when a cool breeze goes by the fermenter, but dropping to 1.002-1.005 with evidence of bacterial and/or Brett flavors should really push you to assuming infection. It happens.

1968 and WLP002 are widely used commercial strains. I don't often see gushing commercial bottles.

I use the WY1968 in my milds and in several other recipes. I have never had this problem. In fact, I opened up a couple of milds last night that were brewed back in February and they have a perfect amount of carbonation, nice head, excellent flavor retention.

1968 just might be more prone to infections though, because of the low attenuation, which could leave bugs something to get going on.

Back