A simple answer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-m

Reaction score
Maybe I screwed up here, but I recently botttled up a batch of porter right out of the primary (I admit it, I got lazy and didn't want to fuss with the secondary). I waited until there was approx 30 seconds between bubbles in the air lock. Overall the beer was in the primary for 11 days and had slowed to minimal activity by the 7th day.

My concern is.....Did i bottle to soon. Am I at risk of having bottle bombs or beer volcanoes?

If so, is there a fix at this point?

Thanks!

ive never had bottles explode on me but mabye thats because I wait until there is about 5 minutes between bubbles heh. I am fairly new to brewing so mabye someone with more experience could give you a better answer.

dave-m said:
Maybe I screwed up here, but I recently botttled up a batch of porter right out of the primary (I admit it, I got lazy and didn't want to fuss with the secondary). I waited until there was approx 30 seconds between bubbles in the air lock. Overall the beer was in the primary for 11 days and had slowed to minimal activity by the 7th day.

My concern is.....Did i bottle to soon. Am I at risk of having bottle bombs or beer volcanoes?

Thanks!
You might have bottled too soon...did you add additional priming sugar?

I think most here would agree that you'd like to wait until the bubbles are at least a minute or two apart before racking or bottling, but since you've already bottled then it is what it is. Check a bottle in a week or ten days...if it's carbed to your taste then put the rest in a cooler place. If not, then try one every 4 or 7 days, and whenever they taste ready, then put them someplace cool. If at any time one of them explodes or yields nothing but foam, put all the rest in the fridge as soon as you can. Other than than, relax and have a brew. :cool:

You may want to call the S.W.A.T. team in to remove those bottles. Seems like fermentation was pretty active. I'd err on the side of caution, since I've seen bottles explode before. Not mine, of course.

dave-m said:

Thanks!

Brother I consider myself pretty advanced in homebrewing. I just want to say from a Marines stand point, get the FLAK JACKET AND HELMET!!!! INCOMING!!!!!!!!!

dave-m said:

Thanks!

OK, i will be serious this time. 30 seconds between bubbles is not the time to bottle. I usually go ahead and wait till i see no activity. A good way to check this is, if there is no activity, flick the airlock and see if it lets out any bubble's, if it does then walk away come back in a hour. Flick it again. If no air bubbles come out and the airlock stays still, then its time to bottle. Now, if you added priming sugar, you have good reason to be worried. I have a purple heart in homebrewing, meaning i actually was checking the beer that i primed and bottled too early because i heard a noise. I opened the closet and boom. They were exploding left and right. What a mess. Plus the glass that hit me from one of those beer grenades cut me and i was 5 feet away. If you did prime then pop the bottle caps, let sit for a minute and recap. Dont worry about oxidation the excess co2 will protect it. Hope this helped

OK all...

It's been 9 days since I made my grievous error and bottled an active brew. I opened one bottle to see how much pressure they were building.

volcano alert!

I pryed the lid and heard the normal puff of cO2 escape. For about two second I was relieved but then....let's see how should I describe it???

foam
foam
foam
foam
ahh! foam! Run!:eek: :eek: :eek:

The question as to whether I bottled to soon has unequivocably been aswered. YES YES YES

Is there any saving the batch? I'm afraid if I crack the lids to relieve pressure they will all just volcano everywhere. Will getting them ICE cold stop this?

Damn Greenhorn....

Help!!

Yes, If you get them cold now then you will stop the carbonation process which is a plus. Then when you serve them put them in a bucket of water ice and salt. A good amount of salt in the ice bucket because one it will stop the foaming and when you open the bottle you will see a co2 layer floating on the top because the extreme cold holds back the carbonation somewhat. If your wondering why salt, its because salt combined with water and ice will lower the freezing temperature quite a bit compared to just water and ice. Hope this helps and tell me how it turns out

Back