A sad sight for my home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I have a 5-faucet keezer that is sitting there with 4 empty faucets and one hooked to about a 1/4th of a keg. Sitting next to my keezer are six empty kegs.

I need to get my rear busy and make some beer! I do have 2 cases of stout aging in bottles, and another stout which I am going to keg in a day or two but...damn! Too many empty kegs and faucets hooked to nothing!! :(

I should put this in, "DON'T DO THAT!"

I hope to have a brew day this Thurs!! :ban:

I win (or lose if you want to get technical). I have nothing ready to drink at the moment. My fall beer is in the ferm and as soon as I bottle that I'm brewing a brown ale. I haven't had a sip of beer in almost a month!

Yeah, I actually bought beer once.
I'm a little scarce: only two taps to fill, but one is low, one is green. I'm resting all my hope on a Belgian Pale carbing in the basement.

IMO, the best solution for a short supply is this:

All extract batch, 15 min boil, 1.040-1.045 OG, buncha whatever hops you like.

Pitch two packs of dry yeast (I like S-04 for this but whatever).

Watch it go like crazy, beer will be done in about 4 days -> package.

Now you have something to drink while you're brewing whatever was on your mind!

IMO, the best solution for a short supply is this:

All extract batch, 15 min boil, 1.040-1.045 OG, buncha whatever hops you like.

Pitch two packs of dry yeast (I like S-04 for this but whatever).

Watch it go like crazy, beer will be done in about 4 days -> package.

Now you have something to drink while you're brewing whatever was on your mind!

/\ this. While I don't keg:-(. Biermunchers centeniL blonde is quick and easy, hop each carboy differently and away you go.

RIP 5th keg. :(

I may use this as an excuse to get another fermonster so I can brew tomorrow and let it ferment a few days at a controlled temp, then take it out and let that one sit in my cold basement to finish and start another one right away!

MODERATOR!! MODERATOR!!

Please suspend this pretender until such time he can produce a picture of afore mentioned kegerator with the required minimum of 3 flowing taps ...

Sheesh...some people!

I have an empty keg in the kegerator. Nothing fermenting. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I haven't been able to brew since mid July. The earliest opportunity is Sept. 23rd!

I do have a porter/stout in the secondary aging with bourbon soaked oak cubes and vanilla beans. I'm not even scheduled to check it again until October. I may draw a sample this weekend and move that up if it tastes close.

We have an online homebrew club with a share at the end of the month. I have nothing to take, which sucks royally. Oh well, saves me the 2 hour drive I guess.

I can't keep my taps filled to save my life. I got way behind this year after buying a house and building a keezer. I have one tap empty, two taps that could kick at any moment and another that is half full. I've got a lot of stuff in the pipeline right now, but nothing is ready to go.

I feel your pain OP. I have a 3 tap kegerator and the last keg just kicked yesterday. I do have an IPA fermenting with home grown hops, but it just started fermenting on Monday. Thankfully I have some home brews that were bottled and some home brew club beers that are bottled too (plus some commercial beers remaining).

I brew one batch per week so I don't have to post my empty keg blues [emoji30][emoji30]

I have a four tap kegerator but can only fit 3 kegs in it?

Maybe time for a larger one

Stout is kegged and hooked to co2 but I want to let it sit for a month of so. Sitting here smoking a cigar and drinking a commercial beer while watching my next batch boil. This is a blonde Ale and I will have a very quick turn around with a burst carb to speed up the "enjoy on" date!

May brew one more quick turn around Ale then 2 lagers (pils and Vienna). I won't let this happen again!

Brew baby brew!

Hey John.....with his pipeline nearing the bone dry stage, his next beer may need to be store bought. Can you imagine having to stoop to THAT level?

Was in the local taproom tonite (as per my normal attendance at "Seminar" on Friday evenings), and the bartender asked me what my favorite beer was.

I replied, nothing you have in here. She looked at me quizzically, and i explained. I noted that I'd rather be drinking my homebrew, though it is frowned upon to bring in one's own beer to a bar.

She accepted the explanation after showing her a few pics of example brews.

Hey John.....with his pipeline nearing the bone dry stage, his next beer may need to be store bought. Can you imagine having to stoop to THAT level?

Tragic. It's happened to me. I don't want to talk about it.
But my drinking suggestion was for Mongoose, who feared bad karma for mentioning his beer wealth.
Just to be safe, everybody should drink one.

I have you all beat. I am in the process of fixing up my house it preparation for sale and a move to Florida. So, I haven't brewed anything since last November. Buying beer is expensive!!!

When I get settled I am going to list the ingredients that I have, ask people to select 3 specialty malts and 3 hops. The highest totals will be used in a recipe using those ingredients. It should be fun coming up with a good recipe from this.

I was down to one tap out of four about two months ago. I got busy brewing and am almost caught up. IIPA, PA, and stout on tap. Tripel, IPA and another stout in the chambers and a Wee Heavy planed for Sunday.

Was in the local taproom tonite (as per my normal attendance at "Seminar" on Friday evenings), and the bartender asked me what my favorite beer was.

I replied, nothing you have in here. She looked at me quizzically, and i explained. I noted that I'd rather be drinking my homebrew, though it is frowned upon to bring in one's own beer to a bar.

If you "happened" to bring in one of your Darth Lagers (Schwarzbier) for them to sample, not only would they understand why you made that comment....I expect they would offer you a brewing job!

I have you all beat. I am in the process of fixing up my house it preparation for sale and a move to Florida. So, I haven't brewed anything since last November. Buying beer is expensive!!!

When I get settled I am going to list the ingredients that I have, ask people to select 3 specialty malts and 3 hops. The highest totals will be used in a recipe using those ingredients. It should be fun coming up with a good recipe from this.

Stop by when you are heading to FL and I'll share a home brew or two to ease your withdrawal pains. If you go down I-95, I am 5 miles from the interstate in Darlington, SC. I am conditioning Mongoose33's famous Darth Lager Schwarzbier now, so when you roll thru it should be prime. This beer is worth the stop.

If you "happened" to bring in one of your Darth Lagers (Schwarzbier) for them to sample, not only would they understand why you made that comment....I expect they would offer you a brewing job!

I know almost nothing about doing this in a commercial setting. Shoveling malt, maybe? :)

Interesting you should mention this--I have brought in a couple of my beers for the beer manager to try. He's responsible for ordering. I brought that very beer in two weeks ago for him to try (primarily so he doesn't just think I'm a whiny beer snob), he took a sip.....two seconds....then "Oh, wow!"

I brought a single bottle of Funky Rye in last week. The manager didn't care for it much (we like what we like!), but the owner wandered by and tried the dregs from the bottle. His face lit up and he said "I'd like to try a bottle of that."

The owner wants me to bring a sampler by, a sixer of the beers I'm brewing or have on tap. I accused him of just wanting free beer :) but he is starting a microbrewery ($3 million expansion) and has said he wants to brew recipes of local homebrewers and then sell 'em. So I want him to see the flavors and styles I'm doing.

Right now I have four or five beers I'm interested in seeing what he thinks: a SMASH w/ Maris Otter and Styrian Celeia; an Amber, Funky Rye, Darth Lager, and a California Common.

Anxious for feedback.

I know almost nothing about doing this in a commercial setting. Shoveling malt, maybe? :)

Interesting you should mention this--I have brought in a couple of my beers for the beer manager to try. He's responsible for ordering. I brought that very beer in two weeks ago for him to try (primarily so he doesn't just think I'm a whiny beer snob), he took a sip.....two seconds....then "Oh, wow!"

I brought a single bottle of Funky Rye in last week. The manager didn't care for it much (we like what we like!), but the owner wandered by and tried the dregs from the bottle. His face lit up and he said "I'd like to try a bottle of that."

The owner wants me to bring a sampler by, a sixer of the beers I'm brewing or have on tap. I accused him of just wanting free beer :) but he is starting a microbrewery ($3 million expansion) and has said he wants to brew recipes of local homebrewers and then sell 'em. So I want him to see the flavors and styles I'm doing.

Right now I have four or five beers I'm interested in seeing what he thinks: a SMASH w/ Maris Otter and Styrian Celeia; an Amber, Funky Rye, Darth Lager, and a California Common.

Anxious for feedback.

Those are all great selections and will certainly get positive feedback. Darth Lager surprises folks as we have both seen. The average person is going to expect a robust stout or porter based largely on the color. But when they taste it, things suddenly change and eyes get wide. The mouthfeel is light and easy, the roasted malt notes shine thru as the lager platform allows complete transparency for the flavors to pop. Of all the beers I have had, this one surprises me the most.

Is that recipe posted on HBT? I may try it.

My homebrew in a bar story is not as good. But there is a local place where I have brought in some of mine, and received approval from the owner and bartender. Enough so that when they see me, they ask if I have any homebrew with me.

Buying beer is expensive!!!

No kidding! I went and got 3 six packs last night...$30!! I just stood there thinking, "I can spend the same $30 and get 5 gallons of possibly better beer!"

I say "possibly" because one of the sixers was Jai Alai!! :tank:

Is that recipe posted on HBT? I may try it.

My homebrew in a bar story is not as good. But there is a local place where I have brought in some of mine, and received approval from the owner and bartender. Enough so that when they see me, they ask if I have any homebrew with me.

No, it isn't...not yet. I wasn't willing to post it until I was able to reproduce it, which now finally I feel confident can be done. But...I've done it twice and Morrey once, so I guess we can call it good. :)

FWIW: I have had a number of dark lagers and each and every one has disappointed me. So I browsed a bunch of different recipes, adjusted based on what elements of a recipe I know I like, added a little chocolate malt and chocolate wheat, and there we are.

I'm attaching a pic of my notebook which may fill in some details regarding the fermentation schedule. I do an accelerated fermentation schedule for this beer, holding it at 50 degrees until attenuation is half complete, then bump it up 4 degrees at a time to 66 to finish. You can see the schedule in the notebook photo.

Here's the recipe:

5# Maris Otter
5# Munich
6 oz 20* Crystal
3 oz Cara 8
6 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Chocolate Wheat

Hops: German Hallertau, 3.8 Alpha, 5.7 Beta.
1.5 oz at 60 minutes
.75 oz at 20 minutes
.75 oz at Flameout

No Whirlfloc

Yeast: White Labs 940 (Mexican Lager Yeast), 1 Liter Starter (yes, that's right).

I did BiAB for this beer so the water figures are based on starting with 7.25 gallons of water. One gallon is my tap water which has a lot of minerals in it, the other 6.25 is RO water.

Mash temp was 149 (I wanted a clean dry finish)
Mash pH was 5.25

Preboil gravity was 1.049, postboil (OG) was 1.057. Attenuated to 1.014, for an ABV of 5.64%.

Wort was oxygenated for 60 seconds w/ pure oxygen.

It was kegged at 12 days, and already was good at that point. Another week at lagering temps and it smoothed right out. The force carbing I did in the notebook suggests doing more; don't do that. :) I did it with another beer, overcarbed it, and there you are.

Here's something I'm doing that is outside the norm. Most lager recipes will suggest a 2-liter starter. What I've been doing is a 1-liter starter, but I pitch at 70 degrees, put in the ferm chamber and have it drop to 50 degrees. I'm not crashing the starter in a fridge and decanting the beer from the flask; I'm just dumping it all in. That starter will have been going for, typically, 18 hours.

What's the net effect? As the wort slowly falls to 50 degrees, and with the nice boost of oxygen, I get what essentially would be a second liter of yeast. I'd wondered about this, but Chris White actually talks about this in his Yeast book as an option. Who knew? :)

I'm sure there's little difference between what I do and doing a 2-liter starter that's decanted and pitched at the fermentation temp. I'm pitching at 70 degrees with a starter that's also 70 degrees, so the yeast are going and vital and being dumped into a vessel at exactly the same temp. It takes off like a rocket.

darthlagerrecipe.jpg

This is a story of hobby gone bad. I have a 15 tap kegerator in the back yard. It was hard to generate enough brews to be worthy of their own tap. Then I have 2 sixty gallon barrels aging with a solera process. My daughter is getting married in 2 weeks and have brewed 18 cornies for 200 people. Not to mention 2 taps by the big screen. After the wedding effort, I'm tired of brewing, but need to kick out an IPA for personal consumption. My son will be helping me today or I couldn't do it. I'm 71. He needs a keg also. Like I said, hobby gone bad. Almost out of gas.

Pat

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have 4 empty kegs. I was finally able to brew last week and today. Two straight weeks. Probably need to brew three more straight to be full.

This is a story of hobby gone bad. I have a 15 tap kegerator in the back yard. It was hard to generate enough brews to be worthy of their own tap. Then I have 2 sixty gallon barrels aging with a solera process. My daughter is getting married in 2 weeks and have brewed 18 cornies for 200 people. Not to mention 2 taps by the big screen. After the wedding effort, I'm tired of brewing, but need to kick out an IPA for personal consumption. My son will be helping me today or I couldn't do it. I'm 71. He needs a keg also. Like I said, hobby gone bad. Almost out of gas.

Pat

You are either the King of Homebrew, or you need professional help. :)
We're not worthy.

10 tap kegerator in my garage, all have beer on tap.
One faucet is a stout faucet, being pushed by beer gas.
Two ten gallon oak barrels ageing, a ten and a 7.75 gallon solara
plenty on deck

stout tower not in pic, because pic is old

My Kegerators.JPG

Last edited:
I'm working my way out of the dry pipeline right now. I never went fully dry, but as I've been brewing new beers there were few that I dumped the dregs of because I just didn't feel like drinking a mint milk stout or a rye IPA brewed from extract any more.

So now on a 6-tap kegerator I have:
Oktoberfestbier (~3-4 gallons on tap and 5 gallon backup keg)
Piggy Beer IPA (RR Blind Pig clone, ~2 gallons on tap and 5 gallon backup keg)
Blood Orange Blonde (~3-4 gallons on tap)

Fermenter:
10 gallons of pilsner

On deck:
Brewing 10 gallons of hefeweizen this Sunday

I set a goal of having an Oktoberfest party which will be Sat Oct 7, so I figured that would spur me to brew. I just need to keep up the pipeline after that party, as this is only 5 unique beers and I have 6 taps. Will probably brew another IPA shortly thereafter as IPA goes quickly at my house.

Just dry hopped my house ale (a somewhat clone of Kona Big Wave) and plan to get it in a keg in a few days. Next on deck will be my Bulldog Slobber, an English IPA with MO as the base, a few specialty malts, English yeast and hops and a lot of rye (malt and flake). I named this after our bulldog we lost this July. From there it will likely be a Pilsner and then a Vienna. I'm still looking to pull the plug on a 2nd fermonster so I can get a few going at once (I am trying to stay away from buckets, for now).

I start a new job at the end of Oct so I better use this time wisely and brew while I can!!

I bottle, but the pipeline is still an issue. I did a series of bretts and fruit sours this summer, requiring long secondaries, so I have lots of empty bottles and lots of full fermenters at the moment.

Back