A Newbie Wants to Know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
As a newbie to home brew I have tons of questions. And, this one is, what does it mean to dry hop? Heard this term a lot and want to know. Thx

When your beer has completed fermenting you add another hop addition just for the aroma it adds. The beer is then left with the hops in it for 3 to 7 days, then bottled or kegged. Once the beer has carbonated and matured a bit it will have this aroma and it will be there for a couple months before it starts to fade off.

A lot of people, myself included, dry hop before fermentation is over.

I don't know where "dry" comes from, but it's when you add hops to the fermenter as opposed to the kettle. It adds aroma mainly, but also a different kind of flavor.

As a newbie to home brew I have tons of questions. And, this one is, what does it mean to dry hop? Heard this term a lot and want to know. Thx
it comes from the old norse 'dreig schopper' meaning a sacrificial drowning of the fairest maiden in the village. this was an ancient rite during the spring when the past seasons hops were dried and due to the big sacrifice of fresh tasty hops with low utilization the practice of sacrificing one of the maidens at the same time developed, the thinking being that the maidens death would boost the illusive dank tang that a quality double dry hopping provides.

let me know if i can help you with any more terms and their historical factual origin. im a drunk scholar

Back