A never-ending primary fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkingshins

Reaction score
I just have a quick question about an 5-gallon all-grain IPA that I have in primary right now. This is my first all-grain batch and I am just looking for some opinions on whether or not there is anything going on that I should be concerned about.

I mashed, boiled and pitched a White Labs liquid yeast on Mon, Jan 17th. It is now Tue, Jan 25th (8 days later) and primary seems to be still going strong. The OG on this batch was 1.066 and it has been held at a constant 68º. The krausen has not fallen, there has been constant and steady activity in the fermentor for the entire time and my airlock is still burping every 6 seconds or so. I have made a dozen or so extract batches and never had a primary fermentation go this long so I am just wondering if this is normal. I plan to rack to a secondary once primary winds down.

I'm assuming that most of you will tell me to RDWHAHB and wait for primary to finish... which is exactly what I plan to do but would just like some confirmation.

Thanks
-Brian

I just have a quick question about an 5-gallon all-grain IPA that I have in primary right now. This is my first all-grain batch and I am just looking for some opinions on whether or not there is anything going on that I should be concerned about.

I mashed, boiled and pitched a White Labs liquid yeast on Mon, Jan 17th. It is now Tue, Jan 25th (8 days later) and primary seems to be still going strong. The OG on this batch was 1.066 and it has been held at a constant 68º. The krausen has not fallen, there has been constant and steady activity in the fermentor for the entire time and my airlock is still burping every 6 seconds or so. I have made a dozen or so extract batches and never had a primary fermentation go this long so I am just wondering if this is normal. I plan to rack to a secondary once primary winds down.

I'm assuming that most of you will tell me to RDWHAHB and wait for primary to finish... which is exactly what I plan to do but would just like some confirmation.

Thanks
-Brian

One vial in a 1.066 batch is underpitching, so it took a while for the yeast to reproduce enough to get going. I'm going to assume that it's going slow and steady now because it's at a relatively cool temperature (which is a good thing). I'd just wait another week or so to ensure fermention is over and the beer clears abit before racking.

Perfect, thank you for the quick responses.

One vial in a 1.066 batch is underpitching, so it took a while for the yeast to reproduce enough to get going. I'm going to assume that it's going slow and steady now because it's at a relatively cool temperature (which is a good thing). I'd just wait another week or so to ensure fermention is over and the beer clears abit before racking.

I suppose I should have created a starter then? I am embarrassed to say that I have never done a yeast starter. I generally just pitch a vial and fugetaboutit. I suppose I should get into this habit as well?

Perfect, thank you for the quick responses.

I suppose I should have created a starter then? I am embarrassed to say that I have never done a yeast starter. I generally just pitch a vial and fugetaboutit. I suppose I should get into this habit as well?

Yep. Even White Labs and Wyeast say on their website that 1.060 is sort of the cut-off for their packages to be "pitchable" but it's sort of agreed that is only in optimum conditions. A starter is beneficial for any beer over about 1.040 in my opinion.

Here's some great info: http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm
and a yeast pitching calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
I think the amount of yeast that is optimum will surprise you!

I suppose I should get into this habit as well?

If using liquid yeast, yes you should. I have gone to dry yeast and you just sprinkle it on. I would have just used 1.5 packs on that gravity.

8 days is never ending?
I think you need to learn how to be patient.
I make starters for all my beers when using liquid yeast, but even with the starter, it quite often takes 10 - 12 days for the krausen to fall, and longer with lagers.

-a.

Fair enough. I'm still relatively new at this and patience is generally not my strong suit. I will push it out of my mind for another week or so and see how things are looking then.

Thanks for the help.

-Brian

Back