a month in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaggard

Reaction score
Due to a busy schedule, my red ale has sat in the secondary for just over a month now. I am ready to bottle this weekend, however I'm concerned that the yeast may have gone dormant. Is that a reasonable fear to have?

I'm wondering if I bottle it with the proper priming sugar if the beer will carbonate, or if i need to add more yeast. Any suggestions?

IME you're fine. I secondary'd a saison for ~2 months before bottling. Turned out splendid

I have gone much longer than that before with no trouble bottle conditioning. Although sometimes it definitely takes longer to reach full carbonation.

I'm a noob but from what I've done with my own brews I'd bet you're fine. Maybe give it and additional week or two beyond normal (say a full 4 weeks) after bottling before you start testing, they'll only get better with a bit of maturity anyway.

Back