A modern version of Michael Jackson's Beer Companion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarrymore

Reaction score
Going through the forums I see that several people recommend a book called Beer Companion by Michael Jackson. However, when I go onto Amazon the book looks super old and they don't sell new copies. It looks like one of those books on animals from the early 90s when I was an elementary school.

I haven't actually seen what is inside of the book, but was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that is just as good and goes over the same topics. I know that sounds a bit silly, but hey. :D

Beer Companion is a great book for people that will spend a couple of hours reading an encyclopedia or travel book. It is both of those things. A compendium of regional beer from a time before "craft breweries" and the internet. I loved the book and it changed my life when I found it. There are no recipes in the book, though if you're looking for that type of thing.

This book was one of the things that drove me to home brewing. It made me realize how many types of beer there were in the world and that the only way I'd get to drink them would be if I made them. That was twenty years ago though, and the beer world has changed a lot since then.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Back