A minor upgrade... A new doohickey to make life simpler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
So, I made something friday that I've been wanting to make for a while..

I split the output of my CFC into a Tee that goes to the two carboys so they can both be filled simultaneously.... And since for whatever reason, the flow was 'never' equal, I had to sit there for 15 minutes manually pinching the tubes to keep them filling at the same rate.... PITA, hand cramps, etc..

So I made this little doo-hickey that allows me to use a couple 3/8" ball valves.. and then becomes a storage carrier for itself when not in use...

Used it for the first time yesterday, and it is just one of those things that makes brew day a little easier..

Here is is collapsed for storage

CBfiller001.jpg

CBfiller002.jpg

And here is is ready for the wort

CBfiller006.jpg

CBfiller008.jpg

And here it is in use

CBfiller003.jpg

CBfiller007.jpg

CBfiller005.jpg

What a great idea! Great execution too! I think I know what my next project is going to be. Well done!

Love the idea, and the build!
I've never had any problem just moving the hose from one carboy to another though. Do you do them at the same time so that they both get the same amount of break material or something?

Love the idea, and the build!
I've never had any problem just moving the hose from one carboy to another though. Do you do them at the same time so that they both get the same amount of break material or something?

That, the same temp and the same amount of wort...

But the 'main' reason is I don't want to stop the flow and risk losing siphon as the pick up tube outlet is then near to or higher than the liquid....

But same everything also....

Why fill from the bottom though? If you had the copper tube just long enough to reach in the neck of the carboy, the splashing would not hurt the wort at all... It would actually help add O2 to the wort. Save a few bucks in copper.

Why fill from the bottom though? If you had the copper tube just long enough to reach in the neck of the carboy, the splashing would not hurt the wort at all... It would actually help add O2 to the wort. Save a few bucks in copper.

Because until the wort covers the output of the tube, siphon is uneven and I have to fuss with throttling the two... Once it gets 'evened out' and the output is under liquid, I can pretty much open them up and let them fill (except in the summer when I have to slow the flow to allow for the CFC to cool cuz the cooling water is too warm)....

Because until the wort covers the output of the tube, siphon is uneven and I have to fuss with throttling the two... Once it gets 'evened out' and the output is under liquid, I can pretty much open them up and let them fill (except in the summer when I have to slow the flow to allow for the CFC to cool cuz the cooling water is too warm)....

That makes sense... once the ends get covered the pressure will equalize in both tubes...
NICE work by the way! I like it...
and I know what you are talking about with those ground water temps. I am at almost 90*F with my tap water right now. SUX!!!!

Great idea but I'd be a little wary of using regular ball valves on the cold side of things. Those valves are notorious for retaining all kinds of funk unless you actually break them down and clean after use.

Back