A matter of placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norwegiangeek

Reaction score
First off; I'm really not that concerned about this, I figured I'd just see if there was a general consensus out there. I'm actually kinda just bored at work and thinking about beer.

I have two places that I can use to plant my first rhizomes. both of them get a pretty good amount of light but they both have a drawback.

The first spot gets the most light by far, but it wouldn't have the best vertical room to grow as it'd be along the side of my house going up to a pretty steeped roof. The lowest point only being 12 feet or so, and the highest point being probably around 18-20. Obviously there's no issue for the 18-20 foot section but 12 feet seems pretty short...although I've seen people grow them on fences so maybe it's a non-issue.

Anyway, the other area does get direct light, but it is blocked for at least half the day by a tree in the neighbors yard. They'd be able to grow vertically for two stories though and would be slightly easier to harvest. Oh, and the dryer vent would basically be shooting hot air directly onto one of the plants if that makes a difference.

So it boils down to less light/more height or more light / less height.

Any thoughts, or does it not really make a difference.

I would go more light less height. If you dont have enough light it doesnt really matter how high they can grow because they my not ever reach that high...know what I mean?

As for the dryer vent I wouldnt worry too much about it. Mine last year were so close to the air cond unit that the one got blasted with hot air all summer. After a while when the leaves got big and old they dried out an died but it was a small section compared to the rest of the plant. Plus, your dryer wont be running nearly as much\long\hot as my air cond unit was.

Back