A lot of foam but no carbonation inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvestsmiles

Reaction score
I've noticed that after I keg, often times I will carbonate the keg hut end up with big head/foam but very little carbonation in the beer itself.
I keg, then carbonate to about 25psi so it speeds up the process. After about a week I get carbonated beer but it's all head... do I just need to wait it out, so the beer absorbs more co2?

I've noticed that after I keg, often times I will carbonate the keg hut end up with big head/foam but very little carbonation in the beer itself.
I keg, then carbonate to about 25psi so it speeds up the process. After about a week I get carbonated beer but it's all head... do I just need to wait it out, so the beer absorbs more co2?
I'd wager you have not enough/too thick pipes/no pipe at all/no flow control/are serving at too high a pressure.
Basically if the pressure suddenly drops in a carbonated liquid some of the gas will escape which can agitate the liquid further causing more gas... Etcetc. You can increase the friction in the system with thin long lines to slow it all down.
Also if you reduce the pressure to serving pressure on the canister the keg will remain at 25 unless vented (depending on regulator) and so will be coming out fast until a few pints served.
If you don't have any means of increasing serving friction right now, say you just have a tap on the keg, you can vent the keg to a low low pressure, pour, then regas to serving pressure.
Wastes gas, but gas is cheaper than beer.
Although I'll tell the polar bears it was you that did it.

Definitely over carbonated. Set it to serving pressure and temperature and leave it for two weeks. Fool proof.
Two weeks! Madness and insanity. Who, especially beginners, has the moral fortitude and phlegmatic calm to just leave a finished beer to sit and gas up for two weeks!!?
Personally I shake it like a (insert sick joke here) for ten minutes, and come back in an hour or two to tap it.

After a week at 25 PSI, I think you're over carbonating your beer. I bump mine up to 30 PSI but I pull a small sample everyday to check the carbonation. Once it's close to where I want it, I turn it back down to serving pressure.

Set regulator to 25 PSI and leave it for 15 - 20 hours max. Bleed off pressure, set regulator to serving pressure and pull a pint. You should be in the ballpark and right on the money in 2 - 3 days.

Latest posts

Back