A lot of craft beers seem dull now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
The more I get into homebrewing and zero in on the styles and hops that I enjoy, the more I'm left underwhelmed by commercial craft beers or thinking up ways to improve the beer I'm drinking.

Tonight I was drinking Avery's Hog Heaven Barleywine and Live Oak's Hefeweizen. Two very good 'beers'. All I could think about was how HH needed something other than Columbus and how the hef might be amazing with an Amarillo flavor blast.

It seems like I'm having trouble finding anything that can compete with the flavor I can bring out in my homebrew. Anybody else feel like homebrewing is altering or ruining their enjoyment of commercial craft beer?

I spent two years in San Antonio, and it doesn't surprise me at all that you feel that way. Spend two years in Oregon, and I don't think you'll feel the same.

I wouldn't say so much that mine are better, but since I'm choosing every flavor aspect of my beer, obviously it is going to appeal to my taste buds more than most beers that are produced by other people.

I mostly drink less commercial beer as a function of having so much of my own around. The only time I really buy beer is at a restaurant or bar.

I agree with the Op for some beers...I know that I have ruined some of the local brewpubs for myself and some friends.
I just notice some beers are more bland or I catch more off flavors now, but there are plenty of craft beers that are still Very Good.

Austin have you tried to get into Sour Beers yet? Try some Jolly Pumpkin or something Belgian like Cantillon

I wouldn't say so much that mine are better, but since I'm choosing every flavor aspect of my beer, obviously it is going to appeal to my taste buds more than most beers that are produced by other people.

This.

I have been developing recipes that fit my tastes. It is one of the best things about brewing, you can make a beer that YOU like. I have tweaked several recipes so that they taste just how I want them to.:mug:

I don't think that it's just homebrew doing it, but I have found that beers I used to enjoy seem mediocre or even not good at all. When I first started getting into craft beer I really liked Brooklyn Brown Ale for example. I've since made a brown ale myself I like more, but I've also tried things like Surly Bender and Coffee Bender, DFH Palo Santo, and Cigar City Maduro Brown that just blow Brooklyn's out of the water IMO. The result is that I compare my brown ale to those now, and continue to try to improve my recipe and process. I'm looking to eventually have homebrew that stacks up against the best beers in the world.

Homebrewing has changed my 'direction' on purchasing commercial beers. The styles I purchased as staples previously - stouts, APA, IPA primarily, are not purchased near as often as I've got homebrew I have nailed down in these areas. I find myself purchasing unique or new versions in bombers to get inspiration, vs just filling the refrigerator.

Beyond those styles, I find myself exploring the world of beer more through commercial versions. There are so many different types of beer and I am really enjoying the exploration of world brewing rather than just the things I previously was drinking. Lately I've been on a German beer exploration - Helles, Bock, Oktoberfest, Alt, Schwarzbier, Dunkel, etc. This has already inspired some brewing in this space and there are so many other beers yet to try. A quest for a Belgian I like is on the list as well! :mug:

Commercial Pale Ale's and IPA's are all but dead to me. My homebrew versions are fresher, hoppier and just down right tastier.

I think FRESHER, and small batch are the keys.

If you are buying it in a bottle, or even a brew pub, it probably isn't as fresh as your homebrew, and it has been stretched into a MONSTER batch.

I can make a KILLER batch of chili in my biggest pot, but to make 100 gallons of it, I could never get to taste exactly like my small batch.

I feel sorry for y'all without any good local craft brews. Maybe I'm just spoiled here in So. Cal., but I've got access to some really great brews year-round.

joe

Smithwicks was my "gateway" beer...I used to love it so much! Peoples tastes do change and advance. Since I have grown acustomed to hoppy beers...Smithwicks seems like light beer to me!

We don't have many "craft beers" where I live...I happen to live in Mississippi...It is the state with the most restrictive beer laws. 6.0 ABV max....so feel bad for me 8*(

I still love a lot of the gateway beers that got me going such as Guiness, New Castle, Franziskaner, etc. It's really the hoppy beers like Sierra Nevada PA or even like Hop Devil don't seem quite so bitter anymore. I certainly don't have it up my ass that I make better stuff than tried and true breweries. Hopefully someday though.

I find beers that I don't like it for this or that reason, but I always enjoy buying beers for "market research", however that is a rare occasion now that I have a brew space and plenty of choices. Good to check out the spectrum of style approaches, regionality and brewing approaches. If you like it drink it.

When i drink a beer by rougue or stone or founders two brothers or alot others, you will find that its not easy to get some of the ingredients they use. I must be doing a good job seeking out incredible beers because i dont think ive match up those much.~~~~~ although i would admit i preferr most of mine over most of the others.

I think FRESHER, and small batch are the keys.

If you are buying it in a bottle, or even a brew pub, it probably isn't as fresh as your homebrew, and it has been stretched into a MONSTER batch.

I can make a KILLER batch of chili in my biggest pot, but to make 100 gallons of it, I could never get to taste exactly like my small batch.

I agree. Find the seasonals and know when they come out. I learned this with SN estate ale and hoptimum.After a while you will see a differrnt beer.

This.

I have been developing recipes that fit my tastes. It is one of the best things about brewing, you can make a beer that YOU like. I have tweaked several recipes so that they taste just how I want them to.:mug:

Agreed. The commercial brews probably didn't change so much as your taste changed. Its the same with food; if I like mine better why buy someone else's??
In my life BH (before homebrewing) I used to say "If I'm going to drink cheap wine, I'd rather have good beer." I've added "If I'm going to drink cheap beer, I'd rather have iced tea." Needless to say, unless we're at home, I'm the DD. If we're at home.....:p

I don't really buy anything but seasonal and special beers that are only made once, and usually I only get a couple bottles or a 22oz. That ensures your beer is fresh and you won't get bored of it.

Granted the only time i find myself buying beer is when the pipeline runs dry or i'm having a party and need some party beer.

There are certainly beers that i used to like that don't knock my socks off the way they used to, but i picked up a Victory Variety pack and fell back in love with Victory's brews.

I think a lot of it has to do, as said before, brewing beers with your own tastes and preferences in mind and also, your beer is better because you made it.

I definitely think a lot of the 'this beer i made is way better than any craft beer I can buy' attitude comes from biased opinions of the brewer. Yeah, of course you're gonna like it, you made it. I've had some underwhelming beers that i still loved and enjoyed drinking, solely because i made it and appreciated it ... OR you really just can't find good craft beer in your area

Holy egos batman!! I agree with Mongrel. You people are drinking the wrong commercial beers.

I fancy myself a pretty good brewer. I've won a few 1st places for my beers in competitions, and they are generally consistent, and very well brewed. With that said, there are plenty of commercial beers that are better than mine.

Try to brew a better IIPA than Pliny or Hop Slam, or try to brew a better IPA than DFH 60 minute, two hearted ale, or Stone IPA.

Hell, try to make a better beer than Sierra Nevada Pale ale. Yours might be more 'unique' but i'd be surprised if BJCP judges would find yours 'better'.

Now yes, freshness can definitely make a difference, and yes, there are some micros out there that aren't making world class beer. Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple breweries that I would have no problem going head-to-head with my beer. But check your ego at the door. There are PLENTY of commercial breweries that make better products that what most people on this forum make. I promise.

There are two kinds of brewers, those that think their beer is incredible, even if it isn't, and those that are their own worst critics. The later are the ones that are always striving to improve.

There are two kinds of brewers, those that think their beer is incredible, even if it isn't, and those that are their own worst critics. The later are the ones that are always striving to improve.

I have to agree with scottland on this one.

It's my personal opinion that humility, an open mind, and always striving to improve; but, also, having a measured dose of self-respect in what you've accomplished is the recipe for homebrewing to be a life long, very satisfying hobby.

Not every craft beer fits in with everyone's tastes - for instance, I don't like German hefes; others would kill for them. Realistically, very few craft beers are truly exceptional; a lot are really good, though. That being said, it was generally craft beer that brought us into this hobby. If you love your beer above everything else that's out there, cheers to you. Trumpeting about it without a healthy dose of humility and introspection doesn't make you a better brewer, IMO - and I'm not talking about the perceived quality of your brew.

Just my opinion, ladies and gents. Regardless, here's to getting better and better at this hobby. Congrats also to the OP's accomplishments. :mug:

Two Hearted Ale has my heart.....That and SN Torpedo is nice....I am currently fermenting a Double IPA....If its half as good as I think it will be I will be a happy man.

I can't wait til my brews are that good, I've got a good feeling about me Kolsch though

You brew what you like - of course you're going to like it better. I like my BBQ better than any of the local BBQ joints. Truth is, in a competition, I'm sure I'd be the one getting smoked. I don't care about what the judges would consider "correct", I make it the way I prefer it. I like mine better but I wouldn't go around saying my BBQ is better than XYZ BBQ. To me that's the biggest plus of DIY, whether it's brewing, BBQing, or what have you. Your finished product is guided by your tastes, not someone else's.

Back