A little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILHEV

Reaction score
brewing up a belgian tripple and wanted to run this recipe past the forum people to see what you all think. Am i using the right hops is the grain bill right. i'm doing a step mash on this one starting at 140 degrees for 40 min then bringing the temp up to 150 for another 40 min. Grain bill is 11.5 lbs belgian pils 3.5 lbs munich malt 1 lb belgian wheat 1 lb of corn sugar then 1oz magnum at 60 then 1oz hallertauer at flame out. I used magnum for bittering to save a little, but if i should use something else i will just thought i could. now i also used corn sugar instead of candi sugar to save as well i don't think that will be a problem. My est abv is 9.2. Any help would be great this is my first attempt at a tripple, hounded by my best friend, constantly b****ing about not being able to drink IPA'S that i need to brew this instead. so please be gentle if i screwed up :mug:

Munich may be an interesting choice.

The hops are fine choices although I would make sure you aren't getting to much ibu from that amount of magnum.

My trippel is normally
84% Pilsner
1.5% Aromatic
14.5% table sugar

I also like to use a few different brands of Pilsner if available.

On a side note unless you are very comfortable with the fermentation for a Belgian beer that large I would consider aiming for something and in the 1075 range for a first attempt.

I use wlp 500 or 530 pitch at 65 let it rise to 66 day 1 68 day 2 70 day 3

Assuming 15% aa magnum you are at about 45 ibu style range caps at 40 but the abc caps at .085 so that is likely fine. If you go your planned route.

Thanks i'm just going to leave it as it is, and then make adjustments after the taste test. Oh and yea love the idea of using different kind of pilsner good idea again thanks

Back