A Lager version of Saf-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
Just looking for a clean/easy near do-all dry lager yeast (not too many choices)
Does it exist? Now that the cooler temps are here I'd figure I'd try a couple lagers.

Fermentis' Saflager W-34/70 is a good all around dry lager yeast for just about any lager, particularly German lagers. But keep in mind you need at least 2 packets per 5 gallons and with their cost increase (like $6 or $7 now), it may be more cost effective to use a liquid yeast/starter.

Fermentis' Saflager W-34/70 is a good all around dry lager yeast for just about any lager, particularly German lagers. But keep in mind you need at least 2 packets per 5 gallons and with their cost increase (like $6 or $7 now), it may be more cost effective to use a liquid yeast/starter.

Thanks. Still doing 1 gal batches, so one should work (even a 1/2)
My LHBS has it too.

Dry Lager yeasts, usually turn out too fruity for my tastes. They do work, I have used this yeast many times, but only as a backup if I have problems with a yeast stall out. Try it out and see for yourself. Anytime you dry something you loose something along the way. Ale yeast seems to be fine dried, but dry lager yeasts never turn out like the Liquid ones do. I like you don't have a cool spot to ferment except in the Garage in the winter, with the temps moving it's very hard to get good lager without all the flaws which are caused by the temperature fluctuation.

Hmmmm Guess thats why there aren't too many dry lager yeasts.

I do have a fridge I made a temp control for. (needs a little tweaking, wanna add in a XBee for wireless control into the home automation system)

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and try out the liquids.

Dry Lager yeasts, usually turn out too fruity for my tastes. They do work, I have used this yeast many times, but only as a backup if I have problems with a yeast stall out. Try it out and see for yourself. Anytime you dry something you loose something along the way. Ale yeast seems to be fine dried, but dry lager yeasts never turn out like the Liquid ones do. I like you don't have a cool spot to ferment except in the Garage in the winter, with the temps moving it's very hard to get good lager without all the flaws which are caused by the temperature fluctuation.

I have used W-34/70 a few times on same or similar recipes that I used WLP830. It performed and tasted nearly identical to WLP830. It actually tasted cleaner and less fruity than WLP830, but that is because I typically underpitched with liquid yeast. So, my take is that they are the same. But as you say, with lagers in general, temperature control is key. Ferment at 48°F to 50°F and the W-34/70 will be fine.

I've heard of some ester issues with most other dry lager yeasts, but I have not used them. I know at least one where the manufacturer even says it's fruity. So, it is up for discussion whether some of the others are inherently estery or if it is due to higher fermentation temps on the brewer's part.

my experience is the exact opposite of yodalegomaster's... i'd recommend saf lager yeasts above all others, including liquids, personally. The problems is people trusting the temperatures that are printed on the packaging: 50 degrees is the right number. Don't trust a lager yeast packet that says 55-59 degrees is OK, you're being lied to.

Back