A HOT NEW Better Bottle Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Once in a while my LHBS cooks up a tasty all grain wort in their pico system.

They "serve" the wort right from the boiler at about 180 degrees into your bucket.

I tossed all my buckets due to an infection problem, and now use better bottles. (Love 'em!)

How hot a liquid can a better bottle handle?

Can I fill with 180 degree wort, or do I need to haul some cornys to transport the wort home. (NO more buckets for me....)

Thanks!

Joel

Better Bottle says the upper temp limit of their bottles are 60ºC (140ºF), so it looks like you need to find a new method of transport.

I'd be careful with glass though and adding hot fluid without heating it up first. Don't want it to explode on the ride home... Actually, don't want to it explode at any time.

Yeah, seems like tossing hot liquid into a carboy would be worse. Don't they cool it down first?

A better bottle will turn to mush

Glass, will probably shatter and crack

You NEED HDPE for those temps... go to Plastic Tanks, Plastic Buckets, Plastic Bottles, Labware, PVC Pipe - United States Plastic Corporation ® that is where I got my HDPE fermentor.

P1020401.JPG

Would it be practical to put it in a sanitized brewpot (with lid) and chill it the rest of the way when you get home? Transfer and pitch as usual.

The LAST time I used a glass carboy, I added wort that had apparently not cooled enough.

The ENTIRE bottom came off in one piece when I picked the full carboy up.

***WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!***

:(

The LAST time I used a glass carboy, I added wort that had apparently not cooled enough.

The ENTIRE bottom came off in one piece when I picked the full carboy up.

***WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!***

:(

AWESOME! I hope you dont brew indoors

Careful with the vaccuum created when the wort cools (shrinks).

Thats' weird that they sell it hot. I visited a possible new option for LHBS that sounded great over the phone in Athens. This pace was disgusting and I wont be buying anything from them unless they just order a full bag of grain and don't touch it till I pick it up.
He was telling be about doing group brews like this. They brew up a large AG batch, then add a bunch of extract to it and split it up. Not sure why they do this.

AWESOME! I hope you dont brew indoors

It was 15 years ago and it was in the kitchen.

Luckily, SWMBO was at work, so I had time to drain the floor and get all the sticky crap up. I think it was a porter, heavy, dark and lots of sugars.

For all the time and effort, I'd just get two or three new buckets from HD and use them only for wort transfer. When they get home, and cool down, put the wort in your fermentors, then rinse and sanitize the buckets, dry them with a paper towel, and put them away until next time. $10 solution to your problem.

B

One more vote for a bucket. I just did something like this last weekend, and while the wort was chilled- the guys who were using carboys had a hell of a time getting a full pour. It just foamed up way too much. Of course the beer was coming out of a 1.5" hose at full tilt.... not sure how your LHBS is going to be filling people's buckets/carboys.

i'm not sure, but i can tell u boiling water it wont hold, i made the mistake of pooring boiling water into mine, it shrank quite a bit, i hastily pored it back out all over my foot. not a fun way to start a day.

I hate buckets!
If you knew about the infection issues I had a year ago you would understand..

I did the only thing I knew that would work.

It took some doing, but I managed to float two kegs:drunk:

Took the 2 corny kegs to the LHBS, got my 10 gal of pilsner, let 'em sit outside overnight, and racked into my beloved better bottles, pitched and so on.......

Your problem is not the PET that the better bottle is made out of - The better bottle is a cold set bottle (meaning that the manufacturer sets the hot plastic with cold molds)

What you could use is a bottle like I manufacture - We make Heat set bottles that will hold temps as high as 200F without deforming

The problem is the biggest thing that we currently make is a 1 gallon bottle

But any juice bottle you find in your local store should be a heat set bottle

They fill these bottles at 185F and the process we use to make the bottles is designed to allow the bottle to survive without deforming

I wonder if there would be a market for a 6 gallon heat set bottle??

Probably not as they would be twice as expensive at least compared to the cold set bottle

That is exactly what it is... Id make love to it.

Cheaper than a better bottle and you get some? I see no reason not to try it out, especially since it is heat resistant. I can save myself some time and just siphon, cool over night and pitch.

Sweet.

Back