A few beers for you to troubleshoot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnm410

Reaction score
Batch #1:

-58 OG, S04 yeast took it to 1.020 and quit, fermented 64-66*F.
-I crashed the beer around 7 days, then removed it from the yeast day 12.
-Went into the keg day 12. It tasted young from the keg.
-14 days in the keg, cold, still tasted young, this was day 26.
-Decarbed the beer, day 26, warmed to room temperature to rest for a week. Ramped it up to 70-72*F for 2 days. Now at 33 days, still taste young.

This beer spent half of it's life at 42*F. I am extremely cautious of oxygen intrusion, I do sealed transfers under CO2.

Did I remove it from the yeast too early, stumping the beer from conditioning?

Batch #2:

-58 OG, 1272 yeast took it to 1.016, fermented 64-66*F with one early peak at 75*F.
-I crashed the beer around 12 days.
-The beer sat crashed for 10 days, now day 22.
-Day 22, tasted the beer, took a SG reading, beer tasted great, just a tad young.
-Day 22 I decided to warm the fermenter to 64-66* with one 2 day peak at 70-72*F, I did this for 7 days. Some fermentation activity was visible, airlock movement, no FG change.
-Day 29 I took a SG reading and tasted the beer. To be expected yeasty, yeast are visible in suspension, but possible development of what I perceive as acetaldehyde, very minimal, slight in taste, bit of carbonation. (note this could be a combination of the cascade/centennial hops with the minimal to no esters formed when ferm. peaked at 75*F.) This is where it stands.
-Will rest for 5 days @ 64*F and resample.

This beer never left the primary, and spent half of it's life at 42*F. I am extremely cautious of oxygen intrusion, I do sealed transfers under CO2.

Did I awake the yeast to an oxygen deprived environment bringing the slight production of acetaldehyde?

*After tasting batch #3 what I am calling acetaldehyde may just be youth and natural carbonation in the beer.

Batch #3:
-Is 1 week old, 50 OG, 09 FG, Notty at 64*F on days 5 and 6 ramped up to 70-72*F.
-Taste young and yeasty, no concerns.
-Resampling in a week, will rest at 64*F till then.

Er, and sadly finding out my star-san spray bottle no matter what I do is carrying the smell of the last product in it. That is getting fixed now.

Sounds to me like you may have removed to early and not completely finished fermentation. I will admit that I have never used the Wyeast 1272, but I have used WLP 051 which is usually a slow fermentor. It is slow but steady on fermenting and usually takes the last week to get the last few drop points to the final gravity. I usually let mine sit for 2 weeks, then take a sample for testing to see where I am at and do this for the next couple of days. If they read the same, then I go ahead and cold crash.

Batch #2: 1272 has always been clean for me, makes delicious hoppy beers. But one thing I've never done with 1272 is 10 days @ 64, 10 days @ 42 and 7 days on a 64-72-64 ramp. It was the fermentation restart that got me pondering.

Batch #1: I agree, the beer is not cleaning itself up, giving it another week.

Latest posts

Back